MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: mybb quote button confusion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Im a little confused on the quote buttons...

The quote button with a +/- that selects multiple posts to quote.  The button with the reply text only quote that one post. Is that correct? The multi quote button seems a little redundant...couldnt you jsut use the checkboxes for each post instead?

I added the plugin fast quote because i want to be able to highlight a portion of a post and only quote that easily. However now i have 3 quote buttons and is getting quite confusing to users. I would like to add text to it as it says nothing currently.

What is the purpose of the reply quote button as all you need to do to quote 1 post is click Quote and select that quote and reply as normal and its added?

What is the point of the multi quote button as all you need to do is select the checkboxes for each post, and click any one of the reply buttons?

I guess why is there 2 buttons when you only really need one?

EDIT:
I just realized that the checkbox is only available for admins and mods  Blush
The main difference is the Reply button takes you through to the full reply page, whereas the Quote button can be used in quick reply, but also allows you to easily reply to several posts.

We need both buttons to balance efficiency with functionally. If you want to just reply to a post, the Reply button will let you do this with one click, which is the efficiency side, whereas the Quote button lets you do more and lets you quick reply. Removing either would mean always having to have more than 1 click, or losing the flexibility.

Hope that helps Smile Personally I always use the Quote button and use quick reply.

If you're interested, in 1.4 when we introduced this it didn't have any text, and this confused people too, so we changed it to say Quote.

[attachment=37446]
thanks for the clarification

IS there any way that i (with the 2 default buttons) can only select a portion of a post, such as highlight a sentence within the text and quote that (much like fast quote does)? Because now i have 3 quote buttons and its quite confusing to users. Hell it was confusing to me. That would allow me to remove the plugin for fast quote and go back to at least 2 buttons i guess.

Quote:If you're interested, in 1.4 when we introduced this it didn't have any text, and this confused people too, so we changed it to say Quote.
Its a little better than that for sure...but i think its still a little confusing.

On our forum we had the suggestion to change it to
Quote -> Multi-Quote
Reply -> Quote

as well as the text to describe it

It would be nice to condense all 3 of these into one. Like the multi quote could be replaced in theory with the checkboxes (that admins have) open to users to allow quoting multi posts only...and for admins other stuff. And then just use the same reply button to quot them...nullifying hte multi quote button entirely. And i am surprised that selected text when using the reply button quote the entire post...i would of expected it to only quote the highlighted text. Then that would make that plugin almost useless.

Its not that hard to hit reply and be moved to advanced editor....That to me just as quick as using the quick editor. And if your quoting anything it would seem like you should go to advanced editor.
Multiquote is fundamentally flawed in many forums.
Doing this via cookies makes it very difficult to multiquote when different threads with posts marked to quote are open in multiple tabs/windows.

(2016-09-28, 03:00 PM)metulburr Wrote: [ -> ]the multi quote could be replaced in theory with the checkboxes
This is practically the correct way to do it. Maybe I'll implement this in a later stage of my social media like MyBB threaded style.

(2016-09-28, 12:34 PM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]The main difference is the Reply button takes you through to the full reply page, whereas the Quote button ... in 1.4 when we introduced this ... this confused people ... so we changed it ...

Thanks Matt, now I think understand why this in global.lang.php:
$l['postbit_button_quote'] = 'Reply';
confused me at first  Rolleyes
I had to hack in an additional full reply without quote and to change the button text back to quote...