MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Bandwidth wasted? photo attachment
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hi guys

not sure if anybody notice this too but i'll try my best to explain:

On any mybb forums, if there any photo attachments, people click on them to open the full sized pictures in new window. So those thumbnail and full sized pictures needed to be downloaded. No problem if we visit the threads for the first time.

But when we re-visit the same thread, those thumbnails needed to be re-download again. Also when click the thumbnails, full sized pictures needed to be re-download again. I use Opera to see the speed and size to download. I wondered why those pictures arent stored in PC cache. I've checked this with IE and Firefox, exactly same.

However, i also checked phpbb,SMF and vbulletin's photo attachment behaviour. Their thumbnail and full sized pictures are stored in PC cache. So they loaded almost instantly if we've visited them before. Unless we clear the cache.

Anyone notice this too?

thanks Smile

PS. i'm not giving a bad word to mybb. i personally think mybb is best forum out there. Just my silly obversation! lol
Can you go to Admin CP --> Settings --> Server & Optimization Options and turn the "Send No-cache Headers" setting off (if it is on)
DennisTT Wrote:Can you go to Admin CP --> Settings --> Server & Optimization Options and turn the "Send No-cache Headers" setting off (if it is on)

hi

its already off. it's starting to suck up my hosting bandwidth lol

thanks
wesley, when I create an attachment on MyBB they are cached for me. Can you tell me what your inc/settings.php is CHMOD'ed to?
Tikitiki Wrote:wesley, when I create an attachment on MyBB they are cached for me. Can you tell me what your inc/settings.php is CHMOD'ed to?

hi

its 666......is that ok?

thanks
CHMOD 666 should work just fine. This is how we CHMOD files that need to be written to. It's a great deal more secure than allowing them to be world readable and world writable.
tmhai, even PHP script results can be cached if they use the GET method instead of POST.
Hi

Just made a screen captured video to show you what's exactly i talking about

cant upload small 1.2mb WMV video here

http://rapidshare.com/files/39172888/problem.wmv

sorry for using rapidshare, scroll down and click FREE