MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Revamping the Permissions System
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Some suggestions are old while others may be new; I apologize if all these have been suggested befire, but I searching takes too much time.

1) More fine-tuned admin permissions -- Yes, this has been suggested before, and I am simply reemphasizing that with the way admin permissions are in mybb 1.8, they are way too broad. In particular, you should at least separate permissions for changing another user's group (or your own group) and adding group leaders to group.

2) Thread-level moderator permissions -- While many sites probably don't need this feature, a few would benefit greatly from thread-level moderator privileges. One particular example that comes to mind is forums that run the game of mafia and have need to lock and unlock threads. Telling people to not post is ineffective, and editing and deleting other people's posts in a game such as mafia (as the moderator) can and do have good uses. I'm sure there are other beneficial usages for basic moderation privileges at the thread level too. Last of all --> For thread-level moderator privileges (in the forums where they are applied), the thread starter should possess all basic moderation privileges for that thread (lock/unlock thread, edit posts, delete posts, soft delete/restore posts, lock posts from editting).

3) An "override no" permission --> As the inheritance system and usergroup system stands, any yes permission supersedes a no permission. This pught to be changed with the addition of a never option that automatically supersedes a yes. This would indeed be more work and require a user interface change, but is prob. only necessary at the group-level anyway. This would also help clear up post moderation privileges (whether or not a post must be approved by a mod) and the alike which imo is super-confusing in terms of how it works.

4) Consistency in usergroup checks --> Occassionally, we seem to have a few instances where only the user's primary group is considered, but I find this rather annoying when one tries to use the inheritance feature to reduce the amount of work.

5) Easier permissions --> One thing I noticed that was good about phpbb was the idea of reusable roles that could be easily changed, etc. Having some of those available for forum-level permissions would make them easier to handle.

6) More flexibility with super moderator privileges --> I really don't get why super moderators automatically get every single moderation privilege in every single forum and there is no way to fine tune that.
Never > Always > Yes > No is what I think the hierarchy of permissions should be.
(2016-10-02, 12:50 PM)dragonexpert Wrote: [ -> ]Never > Always > Yes > No is what I think the hierarchy of permissions should be.

That is the plan.

@OP:

1. Definitely planned.
2. This is a rather niche requirement and quite  big feature. It might be better as a plugin IMO.
3. As above - Never and Always will override any yes/no.
4. All user group checks will make use of all uaergroups. Usergroup permission checking will be done in one place for consistency.
5. We're looking at competition's approaches to the UI/UX around permissions to see what works well and where we can improve it. I know Justin is actively thinking about the experience.
6. I don't actually know if we need such a thing as a "super moderator" or not. This kind of rolls into #5 regarding usability.