MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Upgrading from 1.6.11 to 1.8.7
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
One of my forums is running an old version of MyBB. When I setup the forum I made some custom adjustments to the core (directly) so it was a pain to update it... I update it many times but I stopped doing it.

Now, I want to start from scratch. I've already made custom plugins for 1.8.7 instead of changing the core files.

But I need an advice on how to procced now.

I've read this but I only found a pharagraph that doesn't explain too much about upgrading from an oooooooooold version.

"If your current version is more than one point below the newest version, you need to make a full upgrade. For example, if you’re using 1.6.1 and the newest version is 1.6.4, then you need a full upgrade. The same applies if you’re using 1.6.x and you’re upgrading to 1.8.x. You need to use the latest version of the software."

What is the best option to upgrade to the lastest version without loosing data? My current version is 1.6.11.

The forum is currently running Google SEO (1.6.6) and I want to keep friendly URL's as they are now (is it possible?).

We are talking about a small forums of ~2,000 users | ~10,000 threads | ~130,000 posts.
If you upgrade then naturally some of your plugins and themes won't work, you should be aware of that. Google SEO is compatible with 1.8 so that will work provided that you have the latest version with the compatibility line set to include the 1.8 series.

You should deactivate your plugins before attempting an upgrade, note deactivate not uninstall.

As for the upgrade guidance it's pretty straightforward, you need to follow the advice given under the blog link at the top of this webpage.
I've just upgraded from 1.6.11 to 1.8.7, but now the "admin cp" login is broken. I can login, but when I click somewhere It returns me to the admin login page, when I try to login again the page keeps saying "invalid admin session".

[Image: f7181d7ba0.png]
(2016-10-10, 09:35 PM)Neeeeeeeeeel.- Wrote: [ -> ]I've just upgraded from 1.6.11 to 1.8.7, but now the "admin cp" login is broken. I can login, but when I click somewhere It returns me to the admin login page, when I try to login again the page keeps saying "invalid admin session".

[Image: f7181d7ba0.png]

Press forgot my password to get a new password.
Try deleting your cookies if that happens again, not sure why but sometimes I've had 2 of every cookie in my browser.
(2016-10-11, 12:34 PM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]Try deleting your cookies if that happens again, not sure why but sometimes I've had 2 of every cookie in my browser.

This worked.

This is the testing environment of my forum: http://amxmodx-es.tk

As you can see, the template is broken, I think it's because I've some custom modifications on it from 1.6.11 that were also installed at the upgrade. How to restore de 1.8.7 default theme? Thanks.
UPDATE:

I figured out that the problem were that custom (manually) edited templates from "Default" style were also imported from the old 1.6, so I manually reverted all the changes and now is working fine.

Wouldn't be useful a tool to revert changes of all default templates? I manually reverted 1 by 1.
Quote:Wouldn't be useful a tool to revert changes of all default templates?

Delete the template set or theme and use the default. That should work.
(2016-10-18, 04:01 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Wouldn't be useful a tool to revert changes of all default templates?

Delete the template set or theme and use the default. That should work.

I've manually edited the "Default" template on 1.6.11... If I delete it, will the forum keep working?

Thx Omni Cool