MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Big Step - Move of Forum, new Domain
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi Folks,

I have to move my forum. And yes, into the bargain... It will be hosted under a new domain.

What would be the right approach?

( ) move all files and change the domain in some settings files?
( ) export all postings and users, make new installation and re-import postings and user?
( ) Mission impossible. Moving to a new domain is like descent to hell
( ) ....?
Make a backup of the existing database and files in FTP.
Upload a copy of the files on your new server.
Import the database backup into your new server (using phpMyAdmin or BigDump or similar)
You should be able to access the Admin CP at this time; use it to change the General Configuration settings Board URL, Cookie Domain and Cookie Path to the new domain.
also don't for get to change the inc/config.php

with your new SQL setting
then do what dennis sayed
Provided, the Domain changes only. Can I skip im/expoerting from SQL-Server and just "change the inc/config.php"?

We want to change the Domain of our forum. Hosting Space, Hosting Server, SQL Server, Content will be untouched.
I am also moving my forum and have a question about mysql.
my current server uses:

MySQL version 5.0.45-community

The host I want to switch to uses:
MySQL 4.1

IF I want to move my forum to a new server/hosting company will I be able to move my data?
Yes. I recommend that you back up your forum with the latest version of phpMyAdmin. Make sure you select the SQL Compatibility Option for MySQL 4 when you start the export.
what do you mean by this?
Quote:Make a backup of the existing database and files in FTP.

Are you saying I don't have to do a new install? I just download my entire forum and then upload it?
b.h. Wrote:what do you mean by this?
Quote:Make a backup of the existing database and files in FTP.

Are you saying I don't have to do a new install? I just download my entire forum and then upload it?

Yes. Just upload your downloaded files from your previous server, and any changes you made on your forum will still be there. A fresh installation is not necessary.
besides the version compatibility should I change any of the rest of these settings

[Image: mysql.jpg]
Snipes Wrote:Yes. Just upload your downloaded files from your previous server, and any changes you made on your forum will still be there. A fresh installation is not necessary.

If you wanted to do a fresh install, would that work too?
Pages: 1 2