MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: What is the end-of-life plan for MyBB 1.8?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Long Life for MyBB 1.8.x. for the MyBB 2.0 Must Wait Along Time.

Just Enjoy the Software, Performance and the Future the Community can Update to MyBB 2.0 or Still with   MyBB 1.8.x  or Maybe a Group of Development can in the  Future   Development  the  MyBB 1.9  with Responsive Theme.

MyBB 1.8.x Its The Best Software Forum for Me!

But the MyBB 2.0 It Looks Greate in the Previews Development Blog
Big Grin
Quote:or Maybe a Group of Development can in the Future Development the MyBB 1.9 with Responsive Theme.

That won't happen. Not officially. Anyone is free to fork and continue the development of MyBB 1.8 after it's EOL, but it won't be MyBB itself.
The end-of-life plan for MyBB 1.8 is quite simple, allow me to enlighten you:

MyBB 2 will be so utterly amazing great bazinga that it will blow your socks right off!

At that point no one will care about MyBB 1.x and its silly end-of-life plans anymore anyway.
(2016-10-08, 05:47 PM)mikew Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-10-07, 12:17 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]2.0 is a complete rewrite. Nothing from 1.8 will work.

Things You Should Never Do, Part I
http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/f...00069.html

Yeah, this article from the year 2000 criticizing Netscape is super-relevant.

The people who want to run Reddit-style sites already can ... on Reddit. People who want to build a Reddit-style site probably aren't going to use MyBB in the first place.
For my part I am not unhappy with what I conclude from the developer's replies (thanks to all of you):
Quote:past versions of MyBB have been supported for at least a year, up to 2 years after the release of a new version (a gold release, not alphas/betas/etc.). During this period there won't be any new features being added, but bug fixes and security fixes will continue to be issued.
This sounds like that one can plan with MyBB 1.8 probably for at least 2-3 years from now, if not longer. That is veryyy good.

Quote:If anything, 2.0 will work better on a mobile device than 1.8 due to it using a responsive style. At the minute, there are only 3 or 4 modal dialogs used in the current 2.0 code - one for login/register (optional - this is also a full page that can be opened in a new tab or with JS disabled) another to change your avatar (which again is also a full page that can be accessed without JS) and a couple of others.
Quote:Whatever your concerns about 2.0 are, it will be much more customizable than 1.8 is.
Then there will probably also options to use the non-modal alternatives by default even when JS is availabe?

Quote:I count ~1K lines of JS currently. That's really not much at all. It's not how much anyway, it's how optimized the code is.
Quote:Again, at the minute the only real JS used is for the modals and multi quote. Both also work with JS disabled. The line count of JS mentioned in another reply is largely jQuery - a library that I'm currently looking at working without or replacing for something much lighter. All javaScript will be minified and optimised on a live board too to speed up page loads.
Sounds promising. Smile The comparably low JS overhead of MyBB will then (hopefully) stay with 2.0, too.

Quote:The threaded mode is being removed from the core due to popular opinion from users who have provided their feedback and the lack of use of the threaded system currently available in 1.8 (and 1.6 and 1.4 before them).
The thread style that is commonly rejected is the Usenet one. I share the popular vote that it is ancient and there seems little demand for it if at all.
So the question was not at all about possibly offering more modern presentation alternatives (which you can ideally choose from). But I guess it will still be possible to add such with a plugin?

Quote:Ok, good luck updating a codebase with a decade's worth of cruft and bad coding practices.
The codebase has grown mature, in other words. Nothing bad by itself. New functionality seems to be added now mainly by means of plugins. Thus a low commit count might not necessarily mean there is no more interest.

Quote:Long Life for MyBB 1.8.x. for the MyBB 2.0 Must Wait Along Time.  ...   Maybe a Group of Development can in the  Future   Development  the  MyBB 1.9  with Responsive Theme.
Maybe an 1.8.8 Gold instead?
Long life for MyBB 1.8 and 2.0 Smile
One of my worries is plugins. 2.0 will break all plugins?

It seems hard enough to get some of the 1.6 plugin devs to update for 1.8....let alone for 2.0. Some plugins of 5 years ago are not still working with 1.8. So come 3 years down the line if they stop support for 1.8, you will have to choose to upgrade with breaking current plugins (And or a complete reisntall, with no plugins) or stay with 1.8.

Some plugins seem like it would be common sense to put into the core, and enable an option to turn it on or off. 

Some of the plugins i have installed on 1.8 are

Quote:DVZ random avatars
DVZ shoutbox
edit history log (this seems like it should be in the core) 
Fast quote
Favorite threads 
First post only (this seems like it should be in the core)
Google SEO (i know this is being added)
Guest warn
Haz spoiler
inline success messages
live threads
lock old threads (this seems like it should be in the core)
minify html
my insert buttons
my insert commands (either buttons or commands also seems like it should be in the core)
mysupport (seems like it should be in the core)
pagemanager (seems like it should be in the core)
template conditional (seems like it should be in the core)
portal announcement cutoff (seems like it should be in the core)
prostats (seems like it should be added to the core)
redirect after registration (seems like it should be added to the core)