MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Can't make "classic" thread display happen
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Running a freshly installed 1.8.7. Using the default theme.

I tried to switch the forum to "classic" thread display but it remains in horizontal mode. Logoff/logon doesn't change anything. Should the server be re-started? Anything else to check?
(2016-10-15, 01:29 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: [ -> ]Running a freshly installed 1.8.7. Using the default theme.

I tried to switch the forum to "classic" thread display but it remains in horizontal mode. Logoff/logon doesn't change anything. Should the server be re-started? Anything else to check?

Did you try first clearing browser history and cookies.
Also unless you selected to force classic on all users then the option would only be viewed while logged in by the user whom selected said option via usercp. If you were trying to view it logged out then it will display horizontal by default unless you change settings to force posbit on all users, thus making it default.

* note: you will find lengthly tutorials on how to force all users to view classic postbit, but the humor is that the oldest trick is still the most simple trick being to just copy the contents of postbit classic template and replace all of the postbit template with the postbit classic template. Easy peasy...
Well, I switched it in the ACP, so I assume this would make a change for all users using the default. In my UCP I had the "Classic" choice unchecked, and since this is the only option, I assume it means "classic" if checked, and whatever the admins have chosen for the board if unchecked (classic or horizontal), so I should have seen a change. Checking "classic" in the UCP does change the thread display without having to empty the browser cache.
(2016-10-15, 02:30 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: [ -> ]Well, I switched it in the ACP, so I assume this would make a change for all users using the default. In my UCP I had the "Classic" choice unchecked, and since this is the only option,  I assume it means "classic" if checked, and whatever the admins have chosen for the board if unchecked (classic or horizontal), so I should have seen a change. Checking "classic" in the UCP does change the thread display without having to empty the browser cache.

Horizontal is default. Yes, if working correctly you usually do not need to clear cache..., though some folks have ran into an issue where their problem was cache related and clearing cache displayed the postbit selection for them correctly hence why I mentioned it. Your first post states classic did not display but you say in the second post that it does via ucp? See if you select display classic in thread options settings via acp it will work only if the user also has display classic selected in ucp..., else it displays horizontal like the user selected even if you set classic as default in aco, make sense? There are two ways to completely override that by forcing all users to use classic, as I already mentioned in previous post. Anywhoo,  I guess I am not understanding your support request correctly as I am not sure what else you need that I have not already answered?

I mentioned an oldschool quick and simple solution direction as well as mentioned that there are more lengthly tutorials here if you search the boards if indeed your aim was to force classic on all users.
'Force' is too strong a word. So, if I get you right, the ACP control only allows users to select "classic" in their UCP?
Anything that you select in admincp (that's related to postbit settings) won't have any effect on user selected postbit option (it won't overwrite their selection nor it will hide the option "use classic postbit" in usercp).
The setting in the ACP only affects guests and new users, existing users will have whatever setting was enabled when they registered, or whatever one they have selected for themselves. It would be somewhat annoying if users could change the setting for themselves, only to have it reset every time the admin saves the settings in the ACP.

I've always found the copying-one-template-into another method rather crude, seems much cleaner to run a query to set people to use one option and remove the field from the template for them to change it, otherwise users have an option in their User CP that appears to do nothing.
(2016-10-17, 12:07 PM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]The setting in the ACP only affects guests and new users, existing users will have whatever setting was enabled when they registered, or whatever one they have selected for themselves. It would be somewhat annoying if users could change the setting for themselves, only to have it reset every time the admin saves the settings in the ACP.

I've always found the copying-one-template-into another method rather crude, seems much cleaner to run a query to set people to use one option and remove the field from the template for them to change it, otherwise users have an option in their User CP that appears to do nothing.

That explains everything, thanks.