MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Improved "Registration Forms"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We all know you can add things to the registration form, but it is ugly and clunky. To show what I mean, here is a screen shot of one of the features I am trying to offer:

http://prntscr.com/cu88tk

While it does it's job, it is also very horrific to have to put custom fields in but you cannot style it.

What I am suggesting is sort of like how we begin the registration process. We start out by reading guidelines then you click "I agree" and then head to the next page for registration.

We then could have the ability to add better looking fields (the ability to style the text) and/or add a "multi-page" registration.

Meaning:

Step One: Read Guidelines
- Click "I agree"

Step Two: Page One of registration 
- Click "Next" if there is a 2nd page

Step Three: Continue Steps 2-3 until there are no more pages that need to be filled out.
- At the last page (or what ever page # you give it, the highest number page is the page that gets the "Submit Registration button" 

Likewise, we should have the option to arrange how registration works.

Meaning, if I want the Security Answer as the 1st thing that shows up followed by Username and Password I can do that by assigning them a number.

Likewise, assigning an Item (Question Field) to another page 

I think this will help security wise because Bots will now have to be smart and click "Next" and continue to answer questions. And if it is possible to add 2 Human Verifications, one at the start of the registration (page 1), and one right before you finish registering (last page).

Thoughts..?
I think this is pretty much a given.
The registration pages will definitely be getting cleaned up, but making it take multiple pages would, in my opinion, turn a lot of people off. If I was registering on a site and had to click through 3 or 4 pages to complete the registration, I'd just close the tab.
(2016-10-16, 09:09 AM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]The registration pages will definitely be getting cleaned up, but making it take multiple pages would, in my opinion, turn a lot of people off. If I was registering on a site and had to click through 3 or 4 pages to complete the registration, I'd just close the tab.

same here. on my own personal site, I just integrated the TOU and forum rules right within the registration page without it being intrusive.
(2016-10-16, 09:09 AM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]The registration pages will definitely be getting cleaned up, but making it take multiple pages would, in my opinion, turn a lot of people off. If I was registering on a site and had to click through 3 or 4 pages to complete the registration, I'd just close the tab.

Good point, I wasn't planning to fill 5 pages full of registration, but to separate the registration among those pages. In a sense 1-2 items per page.
(2016-10-17, 07:42 PM)Zaqre Wrote: [ -> ]

Good point, I wasn't planning to fill 5 pages full of registration, but to separate the registration among those pages. In a sense 1-2 items per page.

There's no point to this, it just makes registration take longer.
(2016-10-18, 03:15 AM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]

agreed. the goal is to get people to register on your site, not spend 3 hours filling out information that isn't necessary to get them signed up and making threads and posts. all of the fluff, if any of it is even needed, can be filled in AFTER registration.
^ Agreed. Only info you should be asking for on registration, unless some crucial feature of your site depends on it, is username/email/password.
(2016-10-18, 03:15 AM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]

This. There should be a set of default options for a MyBB board - and a user should be prompted to change them (as necessary). At most, you should enter Username, Password (x2), email, and TOS agreement.