MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Nested Replies
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(2016-11-06, 07:03 PM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]I can't visualize the MyBB pagination working with something like this if a plguin was ever made.

I think you would probably want to switch to an infinite scrolling solution, which would have its own drawbacks.
I've been working on something like Flarum's infinite scrolling concept lately. There are still some issues I need to sort out, but should end up being neat.
(2016-11-06, 07:03 PM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]I can't visualize the MyBB pagination working with something like this if a plguin was ever made.

The way I've handled pagination in this case isn't ideal, but it works. It essentially reverts to linear mode when it needs to due to pagination. On the first page, everything is as you would expect. On subsequent pages, whatever was the first post to show up on the page defines the highest level for the page. Any post that is at the same indentation level as that first post or higher will be at the highest indentation level for the page. All posts that are at a lower indentation level than the first post will be indented normally. Really though, if people run sites with this plugin installed, they should increase the maximum posts per page limit to some arbitrarily large number like 200 so that people who want to use threaded mode can avoid this problem altogether.
(2016-11-06, 10:30 PM)Shade Wrote: [ -> ]I've been working on something like Flarum's infinite scrolling concept lately. There are still some issues I need to sort out, but should end up being neat.
Any news?
Given my recent involvement in the MyBB team and my spare time which is as always very little, it's unlikely the project will see the lights soon.
alright man and congratulations!

i think it's destiny that i've to go on with my ugly jquery script lol
(2016-11-15, 03:31 PM)iso Wrote: [ -> ]alright man and congratulations!

i think it's destiny  that i've to go on with my ugly jquery script lol

@iso If the script works feel free to post it.

@Shade @kloddant Any new progress?
(2016-11-21, 06:58 PM)Nuance Wrote: [ -> ]@Shade @kloddant Any new progress?

Yup, they've approved the plugin at https://community.mybb.com/mods.php?action=view&pid=829, so you can go ahead and download it.  I probably won't have time to implement your changes right now though, sorry.  I'll eventually get them put in there though.
(2016-11-21, 07:21 PM)kloddant Wrote: [ -> ]Yup, they've approved the plugin at https://community.mybb.com/mods.php?action=view&pid=829, so you can go ahead and download it.  I probably won't have time to implement your changes right now though, sorry.  I'll eventually get them put in there though.

Awesome, I'll use this for now. Thanks!
@kloddant

I've played around with this plugin a bit. Threaded mode works great, as expected. The concept I have in mind is still somewhat different though. 

Here is the actual forum using this. Something as close to it as possible would be perfect. I think it has a good variation of threaded mode while retaining a forum feel.

Consider:
  • Eliminate quotes. With threaded mode there's no need, they only crowd posts.
  • Replies to main replies are nested and minimized for further reading. Ensuring all posts relating to the main topic are shown first.
  • Limit nesting level. Nested replies simply link the username @Nuance @kloddant instead of continuing to nest the posts.
Godspeed kloddant  Smile
Pages: 1 2 3