MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Go to page after email activation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello I've made a page I would like newbies to go to once they click the confirm link in the registration email. I've played around with  the "Redirect after registration" plugin but I'm thinking I have found an easier solution but wondered if anyone could advise if they think it could cause any problems.

In member.php I found:

redirect("index.php", $lang->redirect_accountactivated);

And changed it to:

redirect("PAGENAME.php", $lang->redirect_accountactivated);

I suppose it's not always a good idea to make edits to the index.php and I would have to remember it could change at update time, but it seems to be working fine.

So does anyone see any problem with me using this to redirect a newbie to a page once they click the conformation link from the email?

Thank you.
That is just in general when there account is activated I belive, just go on the file and search "index.php" until you find something with a Lang related to emails, I was editing mine just the other night and I though I saw something related to email activation.
Sorry John I think you have misunderstood or I'm not following your suggestion.

I want to know if it is acceptable for me to change the landing page after a new member activates their account, or could it cause any problems.

At the moment the activate account link takes them to the home page, but I want them to land on a page of my choosing.

Thank you.
I recently changed all my landing pages and I'll keep a close eye on if there is any bugs in the next little while.
It's been about 4 days sense I changed mine and it's working perfectly, all redirects in the index.php file from what I can tell are relatively safe to change, the only problem I know of is when you update you will need to re-do all the redirects.
Thank you John.

I did try it for a few days too on a test board without problem, so I've now changed it on my forum and after 5 tests for new registration it worked fine.

Now when a newbie clicks the email to confirm registration they lane on the page I made to welcome them.

Thank you for confirming all is well.
I wouldn't advice to changing core files... I'm sure it could be done by a plugin.

The main problem of changing files directly is when you have to update the forum. Most probably that file will be modified by the dev team. So you will always have to re-add your custom code after any update. It's a pain.

Then you will end like me, running a forum that is like 20 updates behind the latest version because it's a pain to update it.
(2016-10-21, 08:13 PM)Neeeeeeeeeel.- Wrote: [ -> ]I wouldn't advice to changing core files... I'm sure it could be done by a plugin.

The main problem of changing files directly is when you have to update the forum. Most probably that file will be modified by the dev team. So you will always have to re-add your custom code after any update. It's a pain.

Then you will end like me, running a forum that is like 20 updates behind the latest version because it's a pain to update it.

Thank you.

Yes I understand it's best practice to not edit those files. But in this case it's just changing one redirect, and when I update I will just go and change it again.

I wouldn't make a lot of changes this way, and I do keep a note of any changes I make to any file, template, etc.  You really should look at getting your 20 behind sorted before it becomes more.

Smile