MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How i Upgraded my mybb 1.8.7 to 1.8.8 easily
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
i read the mybb tutorials on how to upgrade to this new version it was well explanatory but i had to apply my web developments skill to be able to understand some of the steps the listed there.
So i decided to write a short how-to steps on how to upgrade in just few minutes.

1. You will need:
  2. Your FTP login details 
  3. Filezilla FTP software
  4. Your time  Big Grin
[Image: screenshot_9.png]
  1. Goto your Sites Dashboard and create a database backup in the site's directory and download it too
  2. Back to filezilla Insert all you ftp credentials into filezilla (i.e ftp server,ftp username,ftp password)
  3. Connect and First of all download all your site files by copying all your site files on the right hand side (your site files) of the software to the left hand side (your pc) for backup purpose
  4.  After downloading All your forum files.
  5.  download 1.8.8 mybb changed files here => http://resources.mybb.com/downloads/chan...s_1808.zip
  6.  Upload all the mybb 1.8.8 files after extracting to your mybb installation folder.
  7. When its done goto you install folder delete the lock file 
  8.  Navigate to mybb install folder in your browser e.g http://mybb.bb/install
  9. click on Upgrade to mybb 1.8.8
Please bear with me as this tutorial may not be detailed enough but you may ask questions ill answer fast!
You are missing some important points.

-Disable all your plugins before uploading the new files!
-Restrict access to your site while upgrading (htaccess).

More infos on that: https://docs.mybb.com/1.8/install/upgrade/
Quote:-Disable all your plugins before uploading the new files!

Not necessary for 1.8.7->1.8.8.

Also so far no documentation on the config.php changes.

Quote:$config['disallowed_remote_hosts'] and $config['disallowed_remote_addresses'] variables, containing default loopback hosts and IPv4 addresses, were added to the inc/config.php file, addressing a SSRF vulnerability – remember to update your configuration files and, if applicable, add further hosts and/or addresses that MyBB shouldn’t attempt to access.
(2016-10-19, 02:43 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Also so far no documentation on the config.php changes.

Quote:$config['disallowed_remote_hosts'] and $config['disallowed_remote_addresses'] variables, containing default loopback hosts and IPv4 addresses, were added to the inc/config.php file, addressing a SSRF vulnerability – remember to update your configuration files and, if applicable, add further hosts and/or addresses that MyBB shouldn’t attempt to access.

Just added to Protecting Your MyBB Forum: https://docs.mybb.com/1.8/administration...-addresses
(2016-10-19, 02:43 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]

I am quite concerned about this. I have 20+ plugins installed. Disabling plugins have unexpected results (for example mycodebuttons, when re-enabled adds a duplicate for your buttons). 

Is this confirmed that you do not have to disable plugins to upgrade? The last thing i want to do is upgrade with the plugins and then break the site.
I would recommend to just do it, doesn't harm you. Its just one click. Smile
Ive been bit by similar before. One click can break a lot (possibly)
(2016-10-19, 07:45 PM)metulburr Wrote: [ -> ]I am quite concerned about this. I have 20+ plugins installed. Disabling plugins have unexpected results (for example mycodebuttons, when re-enabled adds a duplicate for your buttons). 

Plugins usually perform such operations upon deactivation or uninstall, however these actions are not being called when the Disable All Plugins setting is enabled or define("NO_PLUGINS", 1) is used; this only instructs MyBB not to load plugins that are currently active, so you shouldn't encounter such problems.
(2016-10-19, 02:43 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]

Also so far no documentation on the config.php changes.

Is disabling all plugins necessary for 1.8.6->1.8.8?
In almost all cases of minor upgrades (1.8.x->1.8.x) within a branch you don't have to disable plugins. In some cases a problem may arise when a template is updated and it removes a potential plugin variable that's needed. But MyBB does a good job of not upgrading templates automatically and forcing you to manually check and update templates that are edited by you or a plugin.

You will likely have less problems leaving your plugins enabled during minor branch changes than the problems you'll face deactivating all your plugins.

For major branch upgrades (1.6.x->1.8.x) this is not true and disabling as many plugins as possible is the best course of action.
Pages: 1 2