MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: reducing spam
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
There are still a lot of spam where real people log in and create an account, and then use a bot to spam it a hour/day/week later. So the captcha, or questions are useless in these cases.
That's why you have flood time. It is best to have 30 - 45 seconds between each post and if someone tries to spam, you'l usually catch it 3-5 posts in - if not sooner.
then they would just pause the program in between iterations for 30-45 seconds if they knew the flood time. They always seem to post at night time when mods/admins are sleeping.
If you're willing to go the next step, remake how the registration works such as requiring the email after the actual registration with no auto login after they register and only allow certain providers they cannot bulk up too many emails at, kills off "quite"* much all of them from my tests but is bothering your new user base in real have yet to see actual spam bots on my forums even when I don't block countries and worked for years.

* Targeted attacks will of course get through.

(2016-11-29, 09:30 PM)metulburr Wrote: [ -> ]There are still a lot of spam where real people log in and create an account, and then use a bot to spam it a hour/day/week later.  So the captcha, or questions are useless in these cases.

Which is strange since that doesn't even happen on mine and the ones I know which are quite large as it normally just wastes the spammers time as other sites are quite open and vulnerable thus that would be quite wasteful.
Pages: 1 2 3