MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: reducing spam
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I have enabled quite a bit of spam preventions....and i am trying to figure out more
I have already...
  • got my API key from stop forum spam and enabled it
  • have recapchta and its API key enabled
  • have security questions (though most are basic math with numbers and letters....most admins/mods did not want specific forum-related questions as new users would not know this info)
  • <5 posts cannot use signatures
  • <5 posts cannot have profile links
  • <5 posts cannot post attachments
  • have and am using quite a lot the purge spammer option
The only reason our forum is not getting bombarded with spam, is because we have 10 mods and admins using purge spammer and are actively on the forum. I was hoping to reduce the work load as i expect it only to get worse as the google rank increases and our content expands. 

I was looking into spamalizer
https://github.com/mmikeww/mybb-spamalyser

The problem is its no longer supported and maintained by the author.

A similar anti-spam appears to be on this forum. IF you try to post
/ var/www
without the space in the path you will see what i mean. 

Most of our spam has one or two links in the post, as well as a bunch of text regarding ads.
My spam protection is super simple.

1. Disallow links for members under X posts. Literally prevents their post entirely and gives them a warning message to remove any links.
2. Use trigger words in posts and thread subjects to immediately close the account.

Most spam contains the same set of words. I also block Russia, China, and Brazil but that's not just for spam prevention. Also both of my protections are custom plugins, and sorry, I no longer share or release to the public.
Quote:1. Disallow links for members under X posts. Literally prevents their post entirely and gives them a warning message to remove any links.
Thanks!!!. I added the no links allowed plugin and that appears to work quite well. I have a spam testing user group (registered) for under 5 posts, and thereafter get moved to a real user group. There does not seem to be an option for this in default mybb settings?

Quote:2. Use trigger words in posts and thread subjects to immediately close the account.

Most spam contains the same set of words.
How can i go about doing this? The only thing i see in the default mybb settings are word filters...which seem to be just for swear word replacing.
(2016-10-19, 02:43 PM)metulburr Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:2. Use trigger words in posts and thread subjects to immediately close the account.

Most spam contains the same set of words.
How can i go about doing this? The only thing i see in the default mybb settings are word filters...which seem to be just for swear word replacing.

You have to create a plugin for that...
Quote:Also both of my protections are custom plugins, and sorry, I no longer share or release to the public.
Is there a plugin that is similar? I could understand why you would not want to make it public as then it gives a blueprint to spammers of how to get around it.
Even with the source code, spammers wouldn't be able to bypass it easily. AFAIK he has other reasons for not releasing any more plugins to the public.

Btw, I made you a plugin for blocking links for users with less than X posts. Not tested, just let me know any issues and I will get rid of them Smile
<?php
/****************************************************************************
	This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
	it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
	the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
	(at your option) any later version.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
	but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
	MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
	GNU General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
	along with this program.  If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.
****************************************************************************/

if (!defined('IN_MYBB')){
	die('This file cannot be accessed directly.');
}

$minimunPosts = 50;

$plugins->add_hook('newthread_do_newthread_start', 'blockLinks');
$plugins->add_hook('newreply_do_newreply_start', 'blockLinks');
$plugins->add_hook('editpost_do_editpost_start', 'blockLinks');

function block_links_info(){
	return Array(
		"name" => "Block external links",
		"description" => "It allows you to block external links for users without an specific amount of posts",
		"website" => "https://amxmodx-es.com",
		"author" => "Neeeeeeeeeel.-",
		"authorsite" => "https://amxmodx-es.com",
		"version" => "v1.0",
		"guid" => "",
		"compatibility" => "18*"
	);
}

function blockLinks(){
	global $mybb,$minimunPosts,$new_thread,$post;
	if ($mybb->user['postcount'] < $minimunPosts){
		$hasURL = false;
		$message = '';

if (!empty($new_thread)){
			$message = $new_thread['message'];
		} else {
			$message = $post['message'];
		}

if (preg_match("/(?:http|https)?(?:\:\/\/)?(?:www.)?(([A-Za-z0-9-]+\.)*[A-Za-z0-9-]+\.[A-Za-z]+)(?:\/.*)?/im", $message)){
			$hasURL = true;
		}

if ($hasURL){
			error_no_permission();
		}
	}
}

The country-level protection is made by a firewall at labrocca's site. But if your only issue are spammers, it could be made by a MyBB plugin. You may want to open a thread at "Plugin requests" forum, is not that hard. It will be easily bypasseable by proxies & VPN's, but you will still be filtering a good amount of spammers.
(2016-10-20, 03:43 PM)Neeeeeeeeeel.- Wrote: [ -> ]Even with the source code, spammers wouldn't be able to bypass it easily. AFAIK he has other reasons for not releasing any more plugins to the public.

Btw, I made you a plugin for blocking links for users with less than X posts. Not tested, just let me know any issues and I will get rid of them Smile

Great idea for the plugin, but I would want the minimum post count to be a setting instead of hard-coded.
(2016-10-20, 07:17 PM)laie_techie Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-10-20, 03:43 PM)Neeeeeeeeeel.- Wrote: [ -> ]Even with the source code, spammers wouldn't be able to bypass it easily. AFAIK he has other reasons for not releasing any more plugins to the public.

Great idea for the plugin, but I would want the minimum post count to be a setting instead of hard-coded.

He was kind enough to create the plugin for free; simply change the number yourself. It takes seconds.
(2016-10-20, 07:46 PM)Wage Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-10-20, 07:17 PM)laie_techie Wrote: [ -> ]Great idea for the plugin, but I would want the minimum post count to be a setting instead of hard-coded.

He was kind enough to create the plugin for free; simply change the number yourself. It takes seconds.

I didn't think I was complaining, just making a suggestion to make the plugin better.
(2016-10-19, 02:43 PM)metulburr Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:1. Disallow links for members under X posts. Literally prevents their post entirely and gives them a warning message to remove any links.
Thanks!!!. I added the no links allowed plugin and that appears to work quite well. 
There is already a plugin that allows this and gives the options to change settings within ACP.
https://mods.mybb.com/view/no-links-allowed
Though its old it still works in 1.8.7 (of course changing the compatability line) 

But thanks anyways  Neeeeeeeeeel

If you can make one for deleting accounts based on triggers that would be great  Smile
Pages: 1 2 3