MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Maximum (Images / Videos / Links) per Post based on Forum and Group
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
One way to reduce spam is preventing users with fewer than X posts to include links (or images, or videos) in messages. Instead of this, I would propose new permissions (Maximum Links per Post, Maximum Images per Post, Maximum Videos per Post). A value of 0 would mean none, while -1 would be unlimited. This would supersede current settings of the same names. Some thought would need to go into how to handle users in multiple groups and the new Never and Always settings for permissions.
That wouldn't completely stop spam anyway.
(2016-10-22, 08:04 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]That wouldn't completely stop spam anyway.

Could you tell me any one method to completely stop spam?
There isn't one. Hence my point; you won't stop spam.
(2016-10-25, 07:19 PM)laie_techie Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-10-22, 08:04 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]That wouldn't completely stop spam anyway.

Could you tell me any one method to completely stop spam?

You figure that you and your a millionaire. But it wont happen because once there is a "new" way... spammers will exploit it and find a weakness. Same thing for piracy, same thing for hackers. There is always a new protection plan (or to them a new "challenge"), anti-this and anti-that, but you cannot ever guarantee 100%. Protection that worked yesterday may no longer work in the future as they have succeeded in their challenge.
Most locks are designed to be hard enough to crack that would be thieves / burglars go after easier prey. Since every lock can be cracked by a determined enough person, should we give up and not use any locks?
(2016-10-27, 05:09 PM)laie_techie Wrote: [ -> ]Most locks are designed to be hard enough to crack that would be thieves / burglars go after easier prey. Since every lock can be cracked by a determined enough person, should we give up and not use any locks?

Terrible, poorly applied analogy.

You're suggesting the addition of something that:

1) Most people won't use, and
2) Will annoy a majority of your users.

This would be better suited as a plugin if you want it.