MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Upgrade 1.8.7 -> 1.8.8 with modified MyBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello Smile

Today I'd like to show you how I upgraded with a badly changed MyBB version. I changed the contents of every file so I saw this as a better way then trying to figure out everything I ever changed.

Because most of the vulnerabilities lie within ACP and Windows severs, I'm not going to patch all the vulnerabities, just the two medium risk ones that meet our conditions (the SSRF and MySQL injection attacks)

The first one can be patched simply by updating your .htaccess file to the one in 1.8.8. Lastly, all you have to do is upload user.php in the /inc/datahandlers/ folder.

You've just fixed the two biggest issues affecting MyBB (or maybe I didn't, in that case please help xD) without having to run an upgrade script. This is intended ONLY for people who have a badly messed up MyBB forum because they were messing with it too much. Please use the provided upgrade script otherwise Toungue
A community I know of that used a different forum software massively modified all their files and it got to a point were they were multiple updates behind and they had to update. Their entire forums basically broke because of them modifying their files... From my experience, your kinda out of luck...
(2016-10-21, 03:09 AM)[PMC] John Wrote: [ -> ]A community I know of that used a different forum software massively modified all their files and it got to a point were they were multiple updates behind and they had to update. Their entire forums basically broke because of them modifying their files... From my experience, your kinda out of luck...

I'm not looking for any further updates. I'll be responsible for my forum but I can't afford to change it at this point in time. I made a mistake by doing what I did early on, but re building it now is not a good idea. Others may agree or disagree freely but I believe this will work for my intended purpose (to patch the two most threatening expolits on Linux servers)
My forum is in the same point as yours, but using 1.6 version. I've modified the core and it always was a pain to update it. I finally decided to fully upgrade my board and migrate the custom core to 1.8 plugins. I mainly finished... it wasn't that hard.

I advice you to do the same since MyBB gets constantly updated/fixed.
Will this serve it's purpose as I intended? Or am I just bat orange insane?
If you keep patching vulnerabilities, you will be safe. But It will depend on your developing skills. We cannot say your site won't be hacked/exploited because we don't know you. Even when the MyBB dev team is not responsible for any exploited/hacked forums, they work as hard as they can to secure the software, if you modify it that "guarantee" is lost.
I suggest to MyBB developer team to check problems and create upgrade files again because I think this upgrade (1.8.8) is too bad. Too many peoples get troubles after (or during) upgrade process. Then this is time to review problems and correct that. We always with you for help to you.
(2016-10-25, 07:45 AM)Area Master Wrote: [ -> ]I suggest to MyBB developer team to check problems and create upgrade files again because I think this upgrade (1.8.8) is too bad. Too many peoples get troubles after (or during) upgrade process. Then this is time to review problems and correct that. We always with you for help to you.

The Upgrade proceda are Ok. 
Update 4 Forums Online witout problems, with default theme and without plugins... the proccess For my work perfect!

The Upgrade its a fast and steps of update are easy To mybb with default theme
(2016-10-25, 09:16 AM)DiegoPino Wrote: [ -> ]The Upgrade proceda are Ok. 
Update 4 Forums Online witout problems, with default theme and without plugins... the proccess For my work perfect!

The Upgrade its a fast and steps of update are easy To mybb with default theme

ah !

Sadly most of peoples are not like to use default theme. And most of peoples are using plugins.
Then those peoples are face to problems but you sad, your update process is only compatible with default theme and without plugins. That is not good. We need re-corrected files for our boards. If you can't, then lot of peoples may be force to change MyBB software because they can't trust MyBB anymore within this situation.

Then stop talking like that with word "Default" and try to help those peoples.

There is lot of changes in *.php files. I think that is the reason for those problems.
Any issues with templates are no different to any other upgrade we've ever done - we can only revert templates for the default theme, we can't do it for customised templates in themes as they are, by definition, customised. Required changes to templates must be applied manually, unless you can come up with a way for us to apply a minor template change when the HTML is completely different in your theme.
Pages: 1 2