MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: plugin to add unread posts number to browser tab
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can someone make a plugin to add unread posts number to the browser tab...kind of like facebook where new messages shows up in your tab automatically. Like that but with unread forum posts.

There is already a plugin to aquire unread posts and link to a lit of threads...but i would like this number up in the tab too
https://community.mybb.com/thread-71986.html
I can't get the difference between the plugin you posted and what you want... could you re-phrase what you need?
The plugin i posted was one i am using. It puts a link in the menu links that gives a list of threads that you have not seen the posts in. It also gives you a number of posts you have not seen. I wanted this number in the tab (the number of posts unread).
What do you mean with "tab"? Could you post an image of where you want it?
the browser tab
Where currently when screenshot...i have one notification on facebook. I actually have some unread posts as well on python forums. But I cant see them from the tabs. This is what i mean. To have the unread number of posts (as a number) in the tab...like facebook.
Now I got it. Let me see how to do that.
That would be the title element that you need to change. You would basically need to set up an ajax call so it can alter the title of the tab. I wouldn't recommend having it check more than once per minute or it can cause resource usage problems.
Please follow this steps:

1. Download the attachment.
2. Desactivate the unread's plugin.
3. Upload the new file.
4. Activate the unread's plugin again.

It's not tested, but should work. I would recommend to test it on a testing environment.

@dragonexpert, AFAIK he didn't want it "live". He just want to see the unread posts number from his browser tabs. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I did. I've only added the unreadPostCount variable to the title on "index" template.
Quote:@dragonexpert, AFAIK he didn't want it "live".
oh sorry. I did mean live. I jsut assume that it would of been taken from the facebook example.
In that case, it will require AJAX and client-side scripting involved. Maybe tomorrow I can give it a try.