MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Banned IP Still Allows Access?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Recently an ip address was banned via the ACP screen. This user was then able to gain access anyway using that banned IP. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Using MYBB 1.8.5. Thanks

66.212.238.225 banned ip but still allowed access:

[attachment=37707]
They weren't allowed access. They logged in at that time, and were greeted with a screen stating that their IP is banned. The two hours ago means that is the last time they tried to login. To test this theory, ban your own IP and try logging in, you will be shown a banned screen, then check ACP for banned IPs and it will say that you had tried to access, lastly delete your IP from the ban list.

Hope I helped!
Thank you for that information. I was going to try to test that theory before I posted the thread but was afraid I could not get back in to allow my ip again. I will trust your response.

Thanks again for the reply.
(2016-10-28, 07:40 PM)OliveOyl Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you for that information. I was going to try to test that theory before I posted the thread but was afraid I could not get back in to allow my ip again. I will trust your response.

Thanks again for the reply.

No problem. IP ban stops you from accessing the forum, but not the admincp.
Also if you were really stuck you could just use a VPN to login and unban your IP, but you wont be locked out anyways.
Quote:IP ban stops you from accessing the forum, but not the admincp.
I was wondering how that worked
(2016-10-28, 10:34 PM)metulburr Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:IP ban stops you from accessing the forum, but not the admincp.
I was wondering how that worked

Well the ban isn't a global server side ban. Basically, it's simply an if statement saying that if someone has x ip, then they see the banned screen rather than the forums. The ban simply doesn't extend to the admincp for exactly the reason in the thread, so that an admin can unban themselves.