MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Inherited a 1.6.16 board with problems, direction?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello,

I've inherited a v.1.6.16 board for a non-profit at http://www.4wdabc.ca/forum/ . The administration pages seem to be working fine and relatively quickly. However, the forum itself is in pretty bad shape, it either never loads (completely blank screen), or it gives a 2002 SQL Error timeout, or sometimes (rarely) I'll get the text only of the board, but I can never get into any of the subforums or links on the page. I tried working with it at different times of the day local time including in the middle of the night just in case the server load was too great during the day, same results any time of day.

I'm experienced with a couple of other open source forum software, so bear with me as this is my first MyBB one. I backed it up, rebuilt the forum cache, confirmed that the daily cleanup runs daily and successfully, and optimized all the forum tables. No difference. I tried to do a file verification, but it always gives me "There was a problem communicating with the MyBB server". As for plugins, it appears that all only Akismet is on there (aside from Hello World), but it appears as "Install and Activate" under Controls so I'm going to assume it is not even being used atm.

So right now I'm tasked with doing something to get moving forward. Looking for advice on whether I should continue to troubleshoot first then upgrade, or should I attempt an upgrade now with it in this condition?

Any suggestions welcomed, thank you.
It looks like you need to go to the Administrator Control Panel > Configuration > Board Settings > Site Details and scroll down to Cookie Domain and replace it with .4wdabc.ca

Below that is the Cookie Path which you need to set to /forum/

If they are already set to that, or it didn't help there might be something wrong with the server its hosted on. Contact your host for assistance he might be able to help you better than I can.
Currently I get the text version of the page (no CSS basically). The cookie settings are fine, I thought it might be the Board URL but that's fine, so I believe the issue here is that ./cache/ and ./cache/themes/ are not CHMOD to 777 (or 775 if that works on your server). Sort that and see if the theme comes back after that.

As for the blank screen, hard to know without seeing it, but the 2002 error is a host issue, so may be related to that. Who are you hosted with? I can get to subforums though.

Once we fix the displaying issues we can get you upgraded.
Merek118 - double checked all those, they are correct as you pointed out.
Matt - I checked /cache and it was set to 777, tried 755 no difference. BTW, /cache was empty and there was no /cache/themes folder. Now I keep getting SQL error 2002 constantly. We're hosting with Dreamhost.
I get this "I'm sorry, but you are banned. You may not post, read threads, or access the forum. Please contact your forum administrator should you have any questions." when trying to view it, just to let you know.
That's weird. For some reason I'm surfing the public non-logged in version just fine now. Want to PM me your email address I'll check the ban list?

shouldn't there be something in the /cache/ or /cache/themes folders too? btw still stuck...
Try saving the stylesheets in the ACP to get them to regenerate.
(2016-11-01, 12:24 AM)gantry Wrote: [ -> ]shouldn't there be something in the /cache/ or /cache/themes folders too? btw still stuck...

Yeah there should, which probably would explain why the theme is broken. You could always download MyBB 1.6 and reupload the missing theme files and set your theme back to default.

The SQL error 2002 my guess is a hosting issue. Like I said it might be easier for you to contact your host for assistance on that part and see where they went wrong.
(2016-11-01, 12:24 AM)gantry Wrote: [ -> ]That's weird. For some reason I'm surfing the public non-logged in version just fine now. Want to PM me your email address I'll check the ban list?

shouldn't there be something in the /cache/ or /cache/themes folders too? btw still stuck...

I've never registered on your site, that's the really weird thing.
It'll just be an IP ban if you're not logged in.
Pages: 1 2