MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Language file changed after upgrade.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just did my first forum upgrade from 1.8.7 to 1.8.8. Everything went smoothly with the exception of the changes I had made to my language file (English) that I had modified was lost. How can I get my changes back other than editing all my changes again?

I tried replacing the language directory from a backup but it didn't seem to change anything. What do I need to do to get the old language file to replace the new one. Thanks for your help!
Did you make a backup?

I am a bit confused on your issue. It might be that I am just up to date with 1.8 yet. I have worked a lot with 1.6. 

I would imagine that if you had a backup, it would be forwards compatible and backwards due to it being a language file that would just load text. Possibly check your text is correctly set in the right directory?
If you uploaded the new files over your existing one, then yes, this would overwrite your changes. Putting the old one back though would just revert back to what it was before, so are you sure it's actually overwritten?
OK, Now I see the changes I made in my 1.8.7 language file after pressing ctrl+F5 three times.

After the upgrade to 1.8.8, I renamed the /public_html/forum/inc/languages  folder to languages-old. Then I replaced it with the 1.8.7 languages file from my backup. Are there any problems with doing that to keep the changes I had previously made to may language file or is there a better way of doing it?

All your help is appreciated.
That'll then mean you haven't actually got any of the 1.8.8 changes. You'll need to re-apply just the specific changes you made, not whole files.
Thanks I didn't know that. Is there a comparison tool or some other way of knowing what I actually need to change?

Most of changes I made were to the 1.8.7 global.lang.php file. Could I just replace that file and still get the benefits of the upgraded language files?

I just found that the code editor I use, PSPad, has a great compare feature that highlights the differences in my 1.8.7 and 1.8.8 global.lang.php files. Mission accomplished! Thanks again for all your help.