MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Custom Report System
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have what I consider a great idea that could change reporting posts.

Basically you let a thread be reported multiple times and if it is reported a certain amount of times than it automatically gets junked until a moderator can view it and take appropriate action.

Kind of sounds like a complex plugin idea but I think it would be a great way for big forums particularly to counter spam and useless content when there are no mods online.
There's likely a reason why that hasn't been added yet. It wouldn't be hard for a small group of friends or individuals to abuse that kind of feature on a live board.

The plugin itself though wouldn't be hard to create.
You sure it would be abused? Forums could offer a no tolerance policy and ban any small groups of friends or individuals who abuse the report system.

I am probably going to suggest the site I frequent add this but I think it'd be a cool plugin tbh.
(2016-11-04, 06:44 AM)OmgItzBluffer Wrote: [ -> ]You sure it would be abused?

You sure it won't be?
Honestly I think this could be a great plugin. While some people can organize with the sole purpose to delete posts randomly like @Wage pointed out, I think they might be warned/banned easily. In an active community it would be hard to find many people abusing such a system. Also, I'd give this privilege to people with certain amount of posts or within a certain trusted usergroup if it turns out too many people abuse it.

Unfortunately I don't have enough spare time to work on this.
(2016-11-04, 08:09 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-11-04, 06:44 AM)OmgItzBluffer Wrote: [ -> ]You sure it would be abused?

You sure it won't be?

There's 2 options.

Quote:While some people can (1) organize with the sole purpose to delete posts randomly like @Wage pointed out,
I think they might (2) be warned/banned easily.

Which one you think the abusers would be fear ?
Quote:Also, I'd give this privilege to people with certain amount of posts or within a certain trusted usergroup if it turns out too many people abuse it.

That would certainly decrease the risk.
(2016-11-05, 05:35 PM)Vanz Wrote: [ -> ]There's 2 options.

Quote:While some people can (1) organize with the sole purpose to delete posts randomly like @Wage pointed out,

Which one you think the abusers would be fear ?

Banning users automatically is asking for trouble. Especially since the demographic of the people that would be organising to randomly delete posts would be young children, most likely on a gaming forum - which would mean that you'd expect an incoming DDoS attack any time shortly thereafter.

Abusers don't fear. That's why they're abusers. Both in real life and online. You'd be surprised at the similarities.
(2016-11-06, 07:15 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]

Which one you think the abusers would be in fear of ?

(1) : Banning users automatically is asking for trouble. Especially since the (2) demographic of the people that would be organising to randomly delete posts would be young children, most likely on a gaming forum - which would mean that you'd expect an incoming DDoS attack any time shortly thereafter.

Abusers don't fear. That's why they're abusers. Both in real life and online. You'd be surprised at the similarities.

(1) The OP "idea" of the plugin does NOT ask to BAN USERS AUTOMATICALLY, only to, un-approve the reported post.
Quote:
Quote:Basically you let a thread be reported multiple times and if it is reported a certain amount of times than(sic) it automatically gets junked until a moderator can view it and take appropriate action.

I don't know if OP has tried this : https://mods.mybb.com/view/auto-unapprov...rted-posts ( for MyBB 1.6 )
* This thread ( https://community.mybb.com/thread-92571.html ) had a link to MyBB DOCS with suggestions on how- to minimize abuse - the MyBB  DOCS link has been moved - anyone knows where to get the DOCS ?

(2) You would be amazed at the amount of ADULTS that "conspire" to get posts/threads locked and closed on some forums.
We suspend many adults that abuse our system, when they return, most starts to act like "adults".
Those that continues childish behavior, are banned.

Most forums I frequent are politics, and firearms related forums, which are mainly adult discussions.
(2016-11-07, 07:59 AM)Vanz Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-11-06, 07:15 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]

Which one you think the abusers would be in fear of ?

(1) : Banning users automatically is asking for trouble. Especially since the (2) demographic of the people that would be organising to randomly delete posts would be young children, most likely on a gaming forum - which would mean that you'd expect an incoming DDoS attack any time shortly thereafter.

(1) The OP "idea" of the plugin does NOT ask to BAN USERS AUTOMATICALLY, only to, un-approve the reported post.
Quote:
Quote:Basically you let a thread be reported multiple times and if it is reported a certain amount of times than(sic) it automatically gets junked until a moderator can view it and take appropriate action.

I don't know if OP has tried this : https://mods.mybb.com/view/auto-unapprov...rted-posts ( for MyBB 1.6 )
* This thread ( https://community.mybb.com/thread-92571.html ) had a link to MyBB DOCS with suggestions on how- to minimize abuse - the MyBB  DOCS link has been moved - anyone knows where to get the DOCS ?

(2) You would be amazed at the amount of ADULTS that "conspire" to get posts/threads locked and closed on some forums.
We suspend many adults that abuse our system, when they return, most starts to act like "adults".
Those that continues childish behavior, are banned.

Most forums I frequent are politics, and firearms related forums, which are mainly adult discussions.

Just happens that the owner of the site I was going to suggest this on has actually saw one of those threads (mind you it was over 5 years ago he replied) so maybe if I suggest it on there it might be considered, thanks for linking.
https://community.mybb.com/thread-92571-...#pid675256