MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Improved Ban System (Appeal bans +)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
(2016-11-16, 07:07 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]With all due respect, I doubt that your forum is a business at 19 members.

I'm going to dispute this. The Network is a business. The site is an element of the business which is bankrolled by other projects.
Quote:Here's the thing, if I wanted to watch over my Staff 24/7 to make sure they don't screw up because they got "triggered" I wouldn't hire Staff in the first place and do things myself.

Then it's not likely you'd be dealing with ban appeals in a timely manner either if that's the case.

Quote: but I am SUGGESTING a feature that I could possibly use along with other people. Simple as that.

You're suggesting something that will require development time from already taxed volunteers. So I'm making my view known about this type of feature and why I feel it's useless. You're taking my posts personally I believe. I wouldn't make these posts if my intent wasn't for the betterment of the MyBB community. I know the difference between just my opinion about how things are done and well-earned experience on how things are done.

If you're going to get financial advice for example, would you get it from a homeless person or a millionaire?

A Ban Appeal plugin can easily be made. But you posted this in feature suggestions for 2.0 and not the plugin request area.
I take it personally because people want to just "talk" with out reading. The very, and I literally mean the very first sentence on this thread was "This was originally a plugin request, but I think every forum could use this system. It is configured through the ACP and managed by Staff through the Mod CP. "

And that's the problem, you're giving advice when I don't need nor want it. As I've said, it was a suggestion, I can live with out it. I already stated I plan on using a 3rd party system to deal with ban appeals. And in case you fail to re-read what was typed, I'll even post the Plugin request date and time.

Lightbulb Yesterday, 01:51 AM
https://community.mybb.com/thread-205844.html

THIS THREAD:
Yesterday, 02:41 AM (This post was last modified: Yesterday, 02:43 AM by Zaqre.)
(2016-11-16, 08:49 PM)Zaqre Wrote: [ -> ]I take it personally because people want to just "talk" with out reading. The very, and I literally mean the very first sentence on this thread was "This was originally a plugin request, but I think every forum could use this system. It is configured through the ACP and managed by Staff through the Mod CP. "

And that's the problem, you're giving advice when I don't need nor want it. As I've said, it was a suggestion, I can live with out it.

Yes, and this is a suggestion thread in a public forum where other MyBB users are expected to share their thoughts on suggested features. Time spent on one feature is time not spent working on another, which has a material impact on both the MyBB team and all MyBB users.

It's obvious you are taking this personally and I don't think the angry tone, huge multicolored fonts, and defensiveness are justified. If you're not interested in other people's replies beyond agreement, you shouldn't post.
Thanks for you opinion
Best of luck to you Zaqre but my guess is that since you don't want my advice you don't want my best wishes either. All my replies are meant to help the community and that does include you.

Have a nice day.
(2016-11-16, 08:49 PM)Zaqre Wrote: [ -> ]I take it personally because people want to just "talk" with out reading. The very, and I literally mean the very first sentence on this thread was "This was originally a plugin request, but I think every forum could use this system. It is configured through the ACP and managed by Staff through the Mod CP. "

And that's the problem, you're giving advice when I don't need nor want it. As I've said, it was a suggestion, I can live with out it. I already stated I plan on using a 3rd party system to deal with ban appeals. And in case you fail to re-read what was typed, I'll even post the Plugin request date and time.

Zaqre, none of the replies to this thread attack you. If something is to be included in core, we need it to be as efficient and user-friendly as possible (not to mention useful to enough people). I am a programmer. When I hear a request or problem, my mind starts racing with possible ways to implement it and any gotchas. Maybe YOU don't want our advice, but this thread is a suggestion to core, so the advice is directed at the MyBB team who ultimately will program the ban appeal system if the suggestion is approved.

I personally like the idea of some way to appeal warnings (more than appealing bans). I think the specific approach and workflow is complicated (especially going through multiple screens and checks at every step), but it is a launching point for further discussion.
Thank you for actually providing feedback and not spewing how you run your forum.

I do agree on the appealing warnings part, it sounds like it would be used more often than the ban appeals.

The #1 reason why i hate using the "Appeal" category of a forum is because you have to first read the post, decide, then mark the thread and delete it (since only one person can see it (and staff), there is absolutely no point in keeping it on the forum.

With the system, you can do it in fewer steps: read the notice in the Mod CP, Accept | Decline:

Accept: Warning/Ban is lifted and the report is deleted (all automatically) but the records (Mod Logs) show the details.
Decline: Warning/Ban is not lifted and the report is deleted (all automatically) but the records (Mod Logs) show the details.
(2016-11-18, 03:06 AM)Zaqre Wrote: [ -> ]...With the system, you can do it in fewer steps: read the notice in the Mod CP, Accept | Decline:
It's ALREADY done in LESS steps: MODERATOR reads post and see that userX has VIOLATED FORUM RULES/POLICY, BAN (or suspend userX).

Or, is forum rules and policy only for the commoners to read & follow ?
Because Johnny knows, "well, If I get banned, I can appeal it"

I wouldn't want to be a MOD on your forums.

Why do you have MODerators on your forum ?
(2016-11-18, 04:00 AM)Vanz Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-11-18, 03:06 AM)Zaqre Wrote: [ -> ]...With the system, you can do it in fewer steps: read the notice in the Mod CP, Accept | Decline:
It's ALREADY done in LESS steps: MODERATOR reads post and see that userX has VIOLATED FORUM RULES/POLICY, BAN (or suspend userX).

Or, is forum rules and policy only for the commoners to read & follow ?
Because Johnny knows, "well, If I get banned, I can appeal it"

A member should be able to attempt to appeal a ban regardless - even if only for their own satisfaction. Either immediately or after a year; because, let's be honest, everyone makes mistakes.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5