MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Improved Ban System (Appeal bans +)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
This was originally a plugin request, but I think every forum could use this system. It is configured through the ACP and managed by Staff through the Mod CP. 

Permissions to use this feature are required/applied to all Moderators, Super Mods., and Administrators (I guess you can say group ID 4,5,6 must use this feature)

But as always we need a permission system that says "These groups are the groups that are allowed to reject/accept ban appeals"

1. When Banning a user, Moderators or + HAVE to check a box or pick from a drop down menu when they are in the ban area for a person:
  • Appeal-able [Default Setting] - Users are allowed to appeal the ban
  • Not Appeal-able (If they select this, they have to state why) 
2. When users are banned, they are assigned a "Ban ID" so when they get banned, they get the regular "You're a moron, and you got banned" message but also something called "Ban ID: [Random Numbers/Letters/Symbols] "(Why, because if we just have their Username, some random person can try to unban the account -  in-order to apply for a ban appeal, the "Ban ID" has to match a current banned account before they can appeal the ban).

3.This "Ban ID" will be used on a new page called something like "BanAppeals.php" This "Ban Appeals" page will require users to fill out 1 field at a time before being allowed to move onto the next.

First: They have to provide the Ban ID
-When they click "Next" if the ban ID does not match a current banned account, an error says "Invalid Ban ID, to view your banned account's Ban ID, please login to the banned account and get the Ban ID"

Second: Once the system says "Hey, this is a valid Ban ID that belongs to a current banned account"  it then checks if the account is allowed to appeal their ban or not.

IF the account has the "Not Appeal-able" setting that was selected by a moderator/admin/supermod,  it will display "Your ban is not allowed to be appealed, the reason is as follows:
*insert the reason the moderator+ has stated*

And then that's it for them. For the accounts that ARE allowed to be appealed it brings or reveals/opens the next step they have to fill out
-The next step displays the Ban Reason provided (if there was one)
-An area where I can type "rules / guidelines for appealing the ban"
-A text box where they can type why their ban should be appealed
-A button that says "Submit ban appeal"

4. Once they submit the ban appeal, the Ban ID gets a special marker or something to indicate "Hey this person already submitted a Ban Appeal - If they try to resubmit the ban appeal, when they enter the Ban ID, give them the error 'You already submitted a ban appeal. Results of your ban appeal will be e-mailed to you at the e-mail that is on your account' "

5. Selected groups (through the ACP) that have the permissions to Accept / Reject ban appeals will have to enter the Mod CP to Accept /Reject them.

6. If the Ban Appeal is Accepted - They get emailed a message set through ACP with something like Your account's "[account name]" ban appeal has been accepted/approved. You may now login to your account.

7. If the Ban Appeal is Rejected - The person rejecting the ban appeal MUST type a reason why, after that they get emailed a message set through ACP with something like Your account's "[account name]" ban appeal has been rejected. The reason is as follows: [reason provided by person who rejected/declined]

8. Every time a person is banned, a new Ban ID is generated. (Even if it is the same person)

1. Why should this be a core feature? 
  2. You can now remove that "Ban Appeal" section of your forum where guests can comment/spam
  3. A controlled space where you can have users request a formal ban appeal
  4. No more users spamming on the "Ban Appeal" section complaining that they should have their ban appeal because of *insert sob story here*
  5. Why just "lift" a ban with out having a reason to - with this you now have a full reason and easy way to appeal bans in the comfort of the MyBB system with out resorting to 3rd party help desks and leaving the "Ban Appeal" section of your forum open for bots and spam and users who just won't go away begging for a ban appeal.
  6. "Not all forums would use this"; "Best as a plugin" Then why is there a way to Lift a ban with out a formal (Non-open forum where strangers can post and bots spam) ban appeal? If you want the user to have a Permanent ban, why have the option to "Lift" it - Just set a time ban and make the users wait out their Ban. 
Some thoughts:

(2016-11-15, 02:41 AM)Zaqre Wrote: [ -> ]Appeal-able [Default Setting] - Users are allowed to appeal the ban

*ALL* bans should be appealable. Why? Because we're human and make mistakes, have personal vandettas, etc. It's not an option, IMHO.

(2016-11-15, 02:41 AM)Zaqre Wrote: [ -> ]2. When users are banned, they are assigned a "Ban ID" so when they get banned, they get the regular "You're a moron, and you got banned" message but also something called "Ban ID: [Random Numbers/Letters/Symbols] "(Why, because if we just have their Username, some random person can try to unban the account -  in-order to apply for a ban appeal, the "Ban ID" has to match a current banned account before they can appeal the ban).

That's just convoluted. User Appeals -> Appeal Successful -> User spams -> User Banned. It's not really that much more work.

Quote:3.This "Ban ID" will be used on a new page called something like "BanAppeals.php" This "Ban Appeals" page will require users to fill out 1 field at a time before being allowed to move onto the next.

We really don't need another page for ban appeals. Have a hidden forum like normal web admins. That allows any staff member to see and act on the ban.

(2016-11-15, 02:41 AM)Zaqre Wrote: [ -> ]7. If the Ban Appeal is Rejected - The person rejecting the ban appeal MUST type a reason why, after that they get emailed a message set through ACP with something like Your account's "[account name]" ban appeal has been rejected. The reason is as follows: [reason provided by person who rejected/declined]

Can be done in a forum topic: Then it's in your database and easy for the user to find.
http://prntscr.com/d7fp2b

I am going to politely ask you to stop posting on my threads, I get highly annoyed when you over analyse everything - and I am not the only one. You've already been Ignored, now please keep off my threads.
(2016-11-15, 06:21 AM)Zaqre Wrote: [ -> ]http://prntscr.com/d7fp2b

I am going to politely ask you to stop posting on my threads, I get highly annoyed when you over analyse everything - and I am not the only one. You've already been Ignored, now please keep off my threads.

DENIED: If you don't want members posting on your thread, you have to stop making thread(s), or create your own forum where you are the BOSS.

(2016-11-15, 02:41 AM)Zaqre Wrote: [ -> ]This was originally a plugin request, but I think every forum could use this system. It is configured through the ACP and managed by Staff through the Mod CP. 

Wrong.
Break the forum rules ? suffer the consequences, whether it's suspension or perma-ban. No admin/staff has time to cater to everyone whining (appealing).
(2016-11-15, 08:35 AM)Vanz Wrote: [ -> ]Break the forum rules ? suffer the consequences, whether it's suspension or perma-ban. No admin/staff has time to cater to everyone whining (appealing).

So, someone doesn't break the rules, but is banned anyway... either through something like spamalyzer or by a power-hungry mod? You're saying they should stay banned?
(2016-11-15, 08:39 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-11-15, 08:35 AM)Vanz Wrote: [ -> ]Break the forum rules ? suffer the consequences, whether it's suspension or perma-ban. No admin/staff has time to cater to everyone whining (appealing).

So, someone doesn't break the rules, but is banned anyway... either through something like spamalyzer or by a power-hungry mod? You're saying they should stay banned?

That's what the CONTACT US form is used for.

On forums where I see an APPEAL BANS/SUSPENSION forum/plugin ( what the OP of this thread seems to be suggesting ), it basically turns into something that's nothing more than a discussion thread of someone whining. ( where had the banned user followed the rules, s/he wouldn't end up in the situation (banned) )

On our forum, when someones banned, all staff review the banned users post (reason s/he was banned ) then the STAFF agree to KEEP BAN or REINSTATE user....  simple.

I believe MyBB said they wanted to keep future MyBB "less bloated" (?)

(2016-11-15, 08:39 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]or by a power-hungry mod? You're saying they should stay banned?

Thats's where the ADMIN(s) makes decisions.
I agree with both Ben Cousins and Vanz in part. Mods should be allowed to do their work without explaining themselves to everyone all the time. Hopefully good decisions are made for the most part to ensure a good quality community. Members will get turned off and leave if they think people are being treated unfairly etc.

In any case I think the private enquiries forum here on this forum works well for that purpose. If someone feels aggrieved about a mod action they can set out their case in that forum - which is accessible to all mods, and hopefully the matter can be resolved there.
Ban appeals are a good idea. The suggested implementation is overly complex, but I think the suggestion of being able to appeals bans is good enough for it to be considered.

Of course it would be configurable in a way which covers multiple use cases of the ban system, and on a per-account basis too. The team is competent enough to implement a feature which keeps everyone happy, including the ability to disable it completely.
(2016-11-15, 06:07 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]Some thoughts:

(2016-11-15, 02:41 AM)Zaqre Wrote: [ -> ]Appeal-able [Default Setting] - Users are allowed to appeal the ban

*ALL* bans should be appealable. Why? Because we're human and make mistakes, have personal vandettas, etc. It's not an option, IMHO.

Speak for yourself. I don't want myself nor my team to waste time looking at ban appeals from spammers, trolls, and cheaters. There are users that make mistakes, and there are users who only want to cause trouble. Staff should be able to demarcate between the two.

I like the idea of appealable bans; however, it seems like it would be even more relevant for warnings and suspensions. I agree that the suggested methodology is convoluted, though. I don't really understand the purpose of the Ban ID. Just include the appeals form under the ban message if the ban is appealable.
This is an intriguing idea, but the process described is overly complicated.

As a software engineer, I love clear requirements and wants:

1. Users should be able to appeal warnings / bans. Many forum rules are open-ended (eg. no hate speech) that is open to interpretation.

2. Any appeals need to be kept private between the user and forum team.

3. Any discussion during the appeal process should be archived and easily searchable for any future appeals by the same user.

Currently we have the "Contact Us" page and / or a private forum. Relevant parts of the discussion can be added to user notes in the ACP / MCP. This does not automatically have the audit trail provided by a dedicated appeal plugin.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5