MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Review: Mybb Software
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: logo.gif]
Mybb Free Forum Software
My Thoughts
When I first found mybb I think I saw the copyright on the bottom of a forum. At this time I really knew nothing about forums I was using one click phpbb forums. I first noticed I liked the sub-forums but that was way back in my days (hehe.. only like a year ago) I also like the way mybb post template was setup and easy to use. From other people I heard mybb was lacking development but from what I see mybb 1.4 is going to be a real surprise for some of us. About a couple months later after I had my own server I decided to install mybb.. My first impressions were easy install, (unlike vb), and easy to set things up. I also loved how the user control panel was set up. Also some of the features just lit up to me like inline post attachments and a portal. What other software do you see a portal built into and is still fast? When I first entered the admin control panel my eyes were burning (no really) there was so much options and stuff and looked very messy. I could not even find how to install a theme. But I know thats getting fixed in 1.4. Although they have big competition like smf, phpbb, vb, and ipb, mybb still is out there and I personally like mybb better than vb. The mybb team is great and friendly too. I just hope mybb remains free! Toungue

Highlight Features I would recommend to people: Multi-Quote posting, quick edit, easy profile editing, cool away system, easy to use

Cons: Not that many themes, help files need improving

My ratings
Features: 9
User Controls: 10
Admin Controls: 9
Overall Rating: 9.5

Great work mybb for such a good software

- shadow82x
Great review! It's nice to see that you took time and effort to write about your experience.

As to the cons, did you know that MyBB Fans is holding a theme contest and there are loads of themes waiting to be judged and released? These themes will hopefully be released around August 15th, but you can check them all out now at the MyBB Fans forum.
shadow82x Wrote:Cons: Not that many themes
We're also working on that at MyBB Themes as well. Smile
Yes I cant wait to port my smf theme to mybb. So many people liked it so I hope mybb people will like it too..

http://custom.simplemachines.org/themes/...?lemma=293
Nice review. The thing I love most about MyBB is that its easy to create themes. Toungue Also everything is so easy to do.
Thanks for the review Smile I'm still reading threads here prior to me installing Mybb later today. I'm not sure why you say the admincp is messy, unless it differs from the demo I looked at earlier?
ForumSpark Wrote:Thanks for the review Smile I'm still reading threads here prior to me installing Mybb later today. I'm not sure why you say the admincp is messy, unless it differs from the demo I looked at earlier?
The Admin CP hasn't changed a lot in the time I have been around, which is just over a year. So it's likely that the demo you looked at is the current style of Admin CP. Smile
Personally I think it's fine the way it is now. There is a new Admin CP to look forward to in 1.4 though. Big Grin

Great review by the way.
The majority of the layout and code of the current 1.2.x Admin CP has existed since very early versions of MyBB at least back into the RC era (circa 2003-2004). It's about time it was overhauled Smile
rh1n0 Wrote:Personally I think it's fine the way it is now. There is a new Admin CP to look forward to in 1.4 though. Big Grin
Thanks. I am admin at a few large vBulletin communities, so the admincp of the other bulletin boards has been a deciding factor in short listing my choice for my forum. The mybb admincp looks good compared to some others I have demoed Smile