MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Doesnt work
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is there any register activation plugin?
Beacause the MyBB mail system doesnt work, i tried to you PHP mail and SMTP and both doesnt work, Which means my forum users can activate their users and can reset password.
(2016-11-15, 11:43 PM)MailProbs Wrote: [ -> ]Is there any register activation plugin?
Beacause the MyBB mail system doesnt work, i tried to you PHP mail and SMTP and both doesnt work, Which means my forum users can activate their users and can reset password.

There is an option in ACP to switch to instant activation. But you are going to get a lot of spam that way. Plus there is no method of auto fixing lost passwords for example.
ACP -> Configuration -> Login and Registration Options.

php mail might require a lot of work/knowledge. But SMTP should be quite easy.

For example SMTP settings for google email would be
ACP -> Configuration -> Mail Settings
Change to SMTP mail
SMTP hostname

smtp.gmail.com

SMTP port

SMTP username
username
where your google email would be [email protected]

SMTP password
whatever your [email protected] password is

SMTP Encryption Mode
TLS encryption

and i believe you have to go to gmail and authorize on your browser the use of SMTP. Its googles method of verification that you are allowing. I forgot the link to that. Or maybe that was for your app verification. I dont remember. 

the benefit of SMTP of google is your email most likely wont go to spam
Quote:whatever your [email protected] password is

Be 100% sure to get an app password and do not use your main Google account password. You are risking a stolen account if your site is ever compromised or if another admin sees the setting.

Also MyBB has logs for the mail. Under the Tools is System Mail Logs. View it to see any possible error messages. It could as simple as a server misconfiguration.
Quote:Be 100% sure to get an app password and do not use your main Google account password. You are risking a stolen account if your site is ever compromised or if another admin sees the setting.
so the app password is different than your regular password? I just used my regular password, but that is because i trust other admins. 

Question: How can a site get compromised? For example i have host login info, domain login info, in a forum that is only seen by admins.