MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Inbuit Chat Option and Shoutbox
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello.

Today we need to solve the problem or take decision instantly without making delay. Private message is good but as we know it takes a time to take any decision, solve issues or doing conversation with friends or members of forum. So peoples always love to do live chat (Real time talk) which help them to understand each other, good conversation and taking a decision quickly.

It good to have a Live chat features in Mybb 2.0. It will be most useful features for all members and peoples who use forums. members can able to chat with another members who are in buddy list and we can also give a features where you user can make chat request to another members to start real time conversation with them (Live chat).

And when coming to public chat box where it can be seen public then shoutbox is used, it is already available as plugin but it better to bring it in in-built mybb features but Live chat is more important then shoutbox.

Suggestions about infrastructure and design.

Making a live chat box (Holder) in forums really not looks good as it not a social media. So we can do something like this, when peoples check there buddy list and when they want to chat with another members who are Online (Active) a new pop up window open and where both members can discuss about there deals.

Privacy Suggestions :

Privacy is also most important. Creating chat options make a big privacy discussion. well we can give a two options. (Option 1) if user select the options the chat history will not get recorded and it will be a temporary data and it cannot be seen later and (Option 2) when they not select the options they can chat as normal done in many social network, The history will get stored as there account is active in forum.

Hope my idea help mybb to develop next version which is our next generations and it make a difference from others forum CMS.

Thanks you for reading this thread. Please give your suggestions and comment about my thought.
Chats in forums distract people, but its free for you to use it, hence its ideally suited as plugin. (I doubt itll take long until someone makes one for 2.0)
I know my forum most likely won't use this, but I think there are quite a few forums who might and will use this feature.

+1
No chance.

/thread
Definitely not in the core, should be a plugin IMO.
Better left as plugin. Chats take away activity from the forum and often include chat speak which makes the forum look plugin. If you really want one, it isn't that hard to code one.
Although we used to say the same about a WYSIWYG, I can say with pretty much 100% certainty we will never include anything in core that does anything like this. We feel the same way about shoutboxes and live chats as we do about profile status updates and comments; they're not part of the core product we've always aimed for. Personally I've always felt these detract from what the forum is there for, and you see people having discussions in the shoutbox not the forum. That's not to say they don't have uses for some forums, but this is why it's good to have a flexible plugin system. It just isn't something we'd bundle as core functionality.
What dragonexpert said.

I was admin on a site with both forums and chat. Over the years chat became more used than the forums. Scheduled chats can increase site activities, but you'd need a large enough staff to actively monitor the chat rooms all the time.

I vote chats remain a plugin.
I agree with what others have said - make it a plugin. chats and shoutboxes detract from the purpose of having a forum and drive traffic away from increasing thread & post counts...usually.
Hi,

Your MyBB 2.0 suggestion has unfortunately been rejected. Your suggestion does not fit with the direction that MyBB is heading in as a project at this time.