MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: post upgrade/install complete mess
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I am having great trouble trying to update a locally hosted version of the forum from 1.8.7 to 1.8.8 as a test before updating the live version.
So this is path to the local forum -  http://localhost:8888/forum/

I downloaded the upgrade package files since it was only a point upgrade, and installed them in the forum directory.
The 'wizard' then took me through an installation process, which I was surprised about as I had assumed this would be an upgrade not a complete installation. But the 'wizard' insisted!

At the end of the installation it asked me to create an admin name and password so I created a new one, not the one I'd used in 1.8.7   and the installation finished, apparently successfully.

I then logged in to the admin area with my new name and password.
Then I went to the forum page, which loaded fine, but forum database had been cleared out.
So I imported a saved database which was apparently successful according to myphp.
(I'm assuming this is how to re-instate the database after an upgrade?)

Then I tried to go to the forum and got error 42: Your board has not yet been upgraded
So, I followed the instructions given on mybb error message page.

As directed, I went to install/upgrade.php as instructed and tried to run it.
But I couldn't because I had a lock file.  So I removed the lock file and tried again to run install/upgrade.php

The first thing that happened was a log in box came up. I put my new admin name and pw in.
It told me that there was no record of that name.  So I put the old admin name and pw in.
Nothing happened. No message, nothing. Just the log in box.
I tried a few different combinations but each time I got something wrong I would be notified by a dialog on the log in box - wrong name, wrong password etc.  
Every time I put the old (correct, I assume) name and password in... absolutely nothing. No error, but no progress either. Just the empty log in box.

So then I decided to see if I could just log in to the forum normally. Except (of course!) now I get this message: The install directory (install/) still exists on your server and is not locked. To access MyBB please either remove this directory or create an empty file in it called 'lock'.

But I just removed the lock in order to run install/upgrade.php!

It seems like I'm stuck in a loop.
So I just copied back the saved version of my old, working forum, ready to start the fun again.

If anyone can see what I did wrong here, so I can make it actually work the next time that would be great.

Thanks!
clear your browser cookies, close your browser, reopen it & try again !
or try using another browser ..