MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Account Security Measure [Authentication]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I found a thread (https://community.mybb.com/post-1114226.html) but it does not "work".

Yes, it removed the links, but all a user has to do is go to the usercp -> Edit Profile -> change "=profile" to "=email" and they are able to change their email.

Why? If someone gets hacked, and we ask someone to provide proof that the account actually belongs to them, we can sent the user a typed "random pin" for them to give to us. This helps prove it is their account because what ever email they register with, is the email they are stuck with, which means, if someone hacks the account, they cannot change the email to their email address.

I am currently "fixing" this issues by adding  "hidden"  in the <html> field for the usercp_email.

Yes, 2FA is coming to 2.0, but that doesn't mean much, if an account gets hacked into, they can change the email (unless 2FA is required every time someone tries to change a password or email.)

I suggest a simple new field required on registration "Account Authentication."

Basically, when users register, they have to type a phrase that they are required to write down / remember. Think of it as "Security Questions" like "What was your Mother's maiden name?" This answer can be confirmed 2 different ways:

1. Only Visible to selected groups set via ACP - When a user has an issue and cannot reset their password or change their email, they contact Admins+ and provide the "Account Authentication" for their account, the Admins+ then reset the email/password and send the information via email.

2. It is stored in the Database, sort of like ACP's "secret pin" but instead of a flat answer, users can customize their answer. When changing passwords/emails they have to (of course) enter their current password, 2FA...?(if 2FA is required when changing email/passwords), then User "Account Authentication" which proves that "hey, this account belongs to so and so: reset email/password."

This is would only be required when changing password/email.

Why is it needed?

1. Proving an account belongs to a person. Once the user sets the "Account Authentication" they cannot change it nor view it - Unless they contact the forum Admins+ to request a change. (Again only admins+ can see it [which means the ability to set which 2 groups are allowed to edit/view this information. Why two - because why would you want mods with this ability. It should be the forum Creators/Owners and their most trusted - Admins.

2. Be honest, if someone can get a users password, what stops them from getting the 2FA pin?

"While two-factor authentication does improve security, it’s not perfect, and it attracts attackers because mainly high-value applications use it. Most two-factor authentication technologies don’t securely notify the user what they’re being asked to approve. Therefore, it’s too easy for an inattentive user to approve an attacker’s transaction without knowing it. Also of note is that third-party authentication tokens can depend on the security of the issuer or manufacturer. And that cannot be known until there’s a breach, such as the March 2011 breach of RSA SecurID tokens. Telecom-based technologies, such as text messaging (SMS), have specific dependencies on the security of the mobile provider, which is chosen by the user. A service using SMS can be vulnerable to any number of telecom providers’ practices regarding reassignment of phone numbers or security of messages. Malware on users’ phones that intercepts SMS messages and sends them to an attacker is also becoming more common.https://www.wired.com/insights/2013/04/f...e-reality/

3. This adds yet another security step but also a hard one.

1.8.8 | You have to have:

-Username/Email (Very easy to get - duh)
-Password

2.0.0 | You have to have (as of "planned features"):

-Password
-2FA (with effort, can be done)

What I am suggesting is yet another security step:

-Password (Required to login...... duh. | But also to change passwords)
-2FA - To login (and I hope required when changing passwords + emails)
-Account Authentication (Only required when changing the password AND email.)

It is basically 3 passwords that a hacker has to get a hold of, but with Account Authentication allowing the users to also create another "password" but it is to verify that the account belongs to that person.

But what IF they get a hold of the Password, 2FA, and this "Account Activation" that is obviously a waste of time?

Then it is up to the Admins+ to decide who is really who. But let me ask you this:

A house has 3 locks. Just like the system I am proposing.

Wtf are you talking about, a house does not have 3 locks, and if they did, not everyone has 3 locks - so again it's a waste.

Lock 1: Deadbolt
Lock 2: Door handle lock
Lock 3: Security System (No duh not everyone has one)

Would you rather live in a house that can be pick pocketed with no extra *Security Measure*?

Or one where you know that you have a Security system in place to prove the house belongs to you?

Also, for those who are "Wtf are you talking about?????"

House = Your Account
-1. A user may no longer have the email address the signed up with. If someone used an email address that have while in college, when they graduate they won't have access to it anymore for example.
How is that any different from forums who only allow email login? Yeah, it's a "verified" email but since it is not theirs, the person who takes it can control the account.
(2016-11-20, 01:46 PM)dragonexpert Wrote: [ -> ]-1.  A user may no longer have the email address the signed up with.  If someone used an email address that have while in college, when they graduate they won't have access to it anymore for example.

This.

And I'm currently having issues with a website at the moment where this is the case. The website provided me an email as staff, which I no longer have.
(2016-11-20, 01:46 PM)dragonexpert Wrote: [ -> ]-1.  A user may no longer have the email address the signed up with.  If someone used an email address that have while in college, when they graduate they won't have access to it anymore for example.

Dragonexpert got it right. People may change ISPs, graduate from school, etc.
Super easy plugin. Could be your first coding maybe.

Hook into usercp_do_email_start then do an error message like

error("Sorry, but we have disabled the ability to change emails at this time.");
Edited first post - Thanks for explaining a major flaw dragon!
MyBB is a forum software and it doesn't hold financial data like credit cards nor is their phone support to call for potential use of security questions or anything beyond self-authentication. So realistically passwords and 2FA is enough. I have had security question plugin running on my site. I disabled it because anyone stupid enough to lose their password, screw up their 2FA, and lose account to their email (password reset feature) is too dumb to remember their own security questions. Also at issue is whenever you ask someone a security question like "What was your Mother's maiden name?" you risk having that data exposed via a site breach. I ALWAYS lie on those questions because the last thing I need is find out someone stole my bank account because I had used my mom maiden name at a MyBB forum.

Security questions and authentication beyond 2FA are seriously not needed. A well run 2FA system is rock solid when it comes to account security. The big problem is dumb members so you have to balance overcomplicating account security with simplifying it for morons.

Quote:2. Be honest, if someone can get a users password, what stops them from getting the 2FA pin?

I don't think you understand how 2FA works because if you did then you wouldn't be asking that question. But let me clue you in. 2FA is secondary device authentication. That's the TWO in 2FA, two devices. That wired article is from 2013 and speaks about a 2011 breach.

Quote:3. This adds yet another security step but also a hard one.

Hard and unneccesary to protect a forum account.

Quote:A house has 3 locks. Just like the system I am proposing.

In my home I protect more than a forum account. That's a bad argument. Cars have one key, that's my counter-argument if you're going to believe your house argument. Pretty sure a BMW is more valuable than any forum account.

I think you need more experience as an admin before you make these suggestions. And yes, that's just my opinion in case the obvious needs to be stated. See poll results for everyone else's view on your idea too.
Think of it as "Security Questions" like "What was your Mother's maiden name?"

I never said they had to Answer a question, they type something like "The dog ate the cat" and that is their authentication.

It would be "Type a phrase that you will remember to verify your account"

"MyBB is a forum software and it doesn't hold financial data like credit cards"

Some MyBB forums do, because they are attached to a site that sells items. - Again, not everyone's forum is the same.

As far as the rest of your comments, you can spoof numbers - and your forum is not like everyone else's. And this has been my argument in every suggestion whether it is good or not. Your forum doesn't sell things, but other forums do.
(2016-11-21, 10:28 PM)Zaqre Wrote: [ -> ]Think of it as "Security Questions" like "What was your Mother's maiden name?"

I never said they had to Answer a question, they type something like "The dog ate the cat" and that is their authentication.

It would be "Type a phrase that you will remember to verify your account"

"MyBB is a forum software and it doesn't hold financial data like credit cards"

Some MyBB forums do, because they are attached to a site that sells items. - Again, not everyone's forum is the same.

As far as the rest of your comments, you can spoof numbers - and your forum is not like everyone else's. And this has been my argument in every suggestion whether it is good or not. Your forum doesn't sell things, but other forums do.

And for those limited forums that do, there are plugins.

If you seriously think such a system would benefit your forum, create a plugin for it (or pay somebody else to write it for you). I really do not see a need for this in the core as it would provide negligible use or security.
Pages: 1 2