MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: people in the admin panel can see sub-forums they aren't supposed to
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
in the admincp, people are able to view sub-forums they aren't supposed to.

[Image: kVKT2RS.png]

my rank does not allow me to see Higher Administration but here in the announcements area I can.
If you trust someone enough to access that part of the ACP, I think you could trust them not to edit the forums they can't see. There is always the admin log that you can check anyway. I never give anyone the Can Manage Admin Log permission. Also, if a forum isn't active no one can see it so how would you edit it?
(2016-11-21, 12:44 PM)dragonexpert Wrote: [ -> ]If you trust someone enough to access that part of the ACP, I think you could trust them not to edit the forums they can't see.  There is always the admin log that you can check anyway. I never give anyone the Can Manage Admin Log permission.  Also, if a forum isn't active no one can see it so how would you edit it?

I'm not worried about them being able to edit it, they can't, the problem is that they can see it. You would think that if you don't have access to view or edit a particular forum you would not be able to see it either. But I guess that's just my opinion.
I basically agree but the philosophy of the acp is quite old and mostly is based on "it's an admin, we can trust him". As this may happen with other permissions it may be a rather big change. So I'm not sure whether we're really going to fix this at this point of the 1.8 lifecycle. I'm going to take a deeper look and post my personal opinion later but probably another dev could take a second look.
In my opinion they should be trusted to view the forum. You can disable them having access to the forums in the ACP but I'll leave the decision to Jones.