MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: A Copy/Paste Query
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Since my largest issue was just fixed, I have a secondary query to do with copy paste. I've noticed this on other MyBB forums as well.

When you copy something from anywhere and paste it into the default MyBB text editor, it brings all the formatting along with it. An example I copied from the posting screen: 

Thread Subscription:
Specify the type of notification and thread subscription you'd like to have to this thread. (Registered users only)

It copies random fonts/styling/colours/etc.

I know there is a 'remove format' button in the bar above.
I know the last button is 'view source mode' and if you make sure the text editor is in that first then it won't happen.
I know ctrl+shift+v pastes without formatting.
And, I know there is a check box in the profile area to turn individual accounts onto source mode by default.

That said, I am on a forum where the bulk of the members will not understand these without significant coaching or individual instruction, so my question is this:

Is there a way to stop this copying of formatting without needing to coach everyone and/or is there a way to globally set the box to open in source mode so members won't be any the wiser?

A link to the board, if needed: link
Quote:When you copy something from anywhere and paste it into the default MyBB text editor, it brings all the formatting along with it. 
when i switched to mybb and found it to do this, i thought of it as a nightmare. Trying to instruct people how to copy and paste and remove formatting is just wow. Especially with our own syntax highlighter codebox... when formatting was inserted inside of it, it just showed HTML of the formatting. It was such a pain. And people still do it. 

I think that after using mybb extensively after a few months now i must be getting use to it or something. I even had to modify the bbcode help doc instructing how-to post code and not insert the formatted code. I went so far as to even add a link to this help doc inside the mybb editor. 

I think i recall asking roughly the same question when i first installed mybb, and the answer i got was there is no such thing, no mod, no core edit instructions. I swear if someone gives an answer to switch mybb to auto remove formatting when pasting...i will kick my own ***.   Big Grin Im crossing my fingers.
(2016-11-23, 02:56 AM)metulburr Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:When you copy something from anywhere and paste it into the default MyBB text editor, it brings all the formatting along with it. 
I think i recall asking roughly the same question when i first installed mybb, and the answer i got was there is no such thing, no mod, no core edit instructions. I swear if someone gives an answer to switch mybb to auto remove formatting when pasting...i will kick my own ***.   Big Grin Im crossing my fingers.

I found this answer, I haven't tested it but maybe it works for you? 

https://community.mybb.com/thread-194944.html
If you change it to source mode you won't have that issue and you can paste raw code which won't get formatted by the editor unless you use BBcodes.
As I said in my first post I am personally aware of ways around this problem like that, but it starts becoming very complex to have to teach this to every person on a site, especially when they may not be forum savvy enough to understand what I'm talking about, or they might be ESL which makes any kind of explanation about coding more complex, etc.

The problem comes in because the members often have to copy templates from a stickied post to fill out and when they paste them, the extraneous code carries over. 

I'm not averse to having to create announcements and diagrams to explain what to do, etc but I'd like that to be my last resort. 

Is there no way to set the text editor to a source mode by default globally? Or another way that the text editor won't bring copied formatting with?
Yes, see this post
That's the same thread as I linked above for @metulburr. I've looked into it since I found it earlier and it won't work for me (though hopefully it works for metulburr). For complex reasons, I do not have direct access to the database for the forum I'm on, just the admin panel. Is there any kind of fix that can be implemented without going into the database?
You have no FTP access either?
This is why I don't like WYSIWYG editors Shy
I do have FTP access but only to host things like images, js, stylesheets and the like. Nothing more indepth than that.