MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Mention Tag and Hash Tag
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

MYBB 2.0 already coming with many new amazing features including Notification system (Alert System). I have a new idea and suggestion to make it more good. @Mention Tag (@) and #Hashtag (#) which help peoples to communicate with other forum member by mentioning them and It make search easy on the topic with hashtag.

Mentioning with Username is good but many members keep changing there username and something this make error in mybb system. So it good if username changed, it should changed in mention tag too. We can use @uid instead of @username in back end. in front end user use forum member username to mention him but in back end it takes uid of the user.

And also alert in notification for mention tag.

Let me know your comment and feedback about my idea.
(2016-12-04, 04:41 PM)Andro Wrote: [ -> ]User mention are already planned: tag users  Smile

Wow. That nice. What about HashTag (#). It also a good features. What you think about it.
What should # do? You mean hash tag functionality like facebook/twitter? IMHO It is unsuitable for forum engine.
I don't think hashtags would be good for forum software like Mybb, it'd be a cool plugin though if you chose to build that into your site.
I think hashtags are useful as a plugin, but don't see them as part of core.

Take a look at the discussion for existing hashtag plugins. It is a nice feature, but there are some issues / questions:
  • hashtags (as implemented by the existing plugins) can be resource intensive.
  • should hashtags require moderation before becoming active? I can see them as a source of comment spam or abuse.
  • do the tags apply to the thread or individual post?
  • what happens when a post quotes another post which contains a hashtag?

I use a home-grown plugin which is not ready to share. My plugin has a separate UI component to submit hashtags against a thread instead of using an octothorp in the post's text. Hashtags must be approved before they are shown to regular members and guests. Moderators have a UI to mark submissions as approved or denied (denied submissions do not reappear in the UI for moderators). A tag cloud is displayed on the index page and when browsing each category or forum.
I agree that hashtags shouldn't be a core feature, it is just a keyword that turns into a search query when people click it. Sounds like something that many would disable.
Hi,

Your MyBB 2.0 suggestion has unfortunately been rejected. Your suggestion does not fit with the direction that MyBB is heading in as a project at this time.