MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Switching forum software, need help on final decision!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all, I apologize for creating another one of these threads, but I've been pondering for the past three days and have still failed to grasp one!

I'm currently trying to decide which forum software I should go with, but can't really set my foot on any yet. So far, I've narrowed my options down to these two:

1) MyBB
2) Xenforo

I've used Xenforo twice before, but if all else fails, I'll have to go back to it. Have to say, it wasn't really that bad, but gave me lots of headaches here and there. Was simply not fun to work with at times. The XenPorta add-on was the only thing I found really useful. Last time I touched this forum software was about a year and a half ago.

I know most replies will be subjective, or biased towards MyBB as this is a MyBB forum, but I'm asking here already knowing so. From past experiences with Xenforo, I feel that the community here is much more mature, interactive, and informational as opposed to Xenforo.

The type of site I'll be using this for is a relatively large gaming community forum. Nothing too crazy.

Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Hi,

It really depends on what specific functionality you would require - MyBB will handle 8-figure post-count forums (with sufficient servers still of course) with ease, and has the benefit of being free to use, so really depends on what you need from it. MyBB is very extendible with plugins, so should be able to cater for most needs.
If you need a lot of customizations, MyBB would probably be the better route because custom work done with MyBB tends to be cheaper because of the core product being free. My services I do I would charge more if the product wasn't free. When I tried writing a plugin for Xenforo, I found it much more difficult to work properly.
Why would you go back to a software that gave you headaches? Like you said you've used it twice before. Is MyBB easier to use for you? Does it have the same functions as XenForo? I haven't personally used XenForo, but I've always found MyBB easy to install, navigate and customise. If there are functions that XenForo has that MyBB doesn't, I'm sure you could get it as a plugin.