MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Trolling in the theme releases forum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(2016-12-09, 10:17 AM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]A nice solution would be to ban that particular member (Aoki) - just comes onto the forum to post sh!t every once in awhile.

I'm speaking theoretically. I haven't noticed anyone in particular. Aoki doesn't seem bad.

(2016-12-09, 11:36 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure what you mean. All reported posts are reviewed (eventually). There's no special treatment for anyone, that's why the team is the best to handle these situations. A lot goes on behind the scenes, even if you can't visibly see any action being taken it doesn't mean the team isn't aware of a certain user's behavior.

The only reason I see this idea working is because users favor instant gratification. The power is in their hands. They are allowed to moderate their own threads. If a certain comment doesn't match the feedback they desire, it can be removed. This wouldn't be for all forums, only certain forums such as release forums.

When a report comes in moderators act objectively. This works in most cases, but I would argue that this only causes more drama, case in point this thread. If the user was allowed to remove posts, he/she could simply removed the undesired post and move on. If the previous poster didn't like their post being removed they can ignore that user. No need for moderator intervention.
(2016-12-09, 11:53 AM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]Unfortunately putting someone on your ignore list does not prevent them from making trash posts. Aoki is not the only one. Which is why i requested my support threads to be deleted, i won't be offering support on these forums anymore.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This is the Internet. You're not going to get along with everyone. As I keep saying, bring it up with the team if you have an issue with someone. Honestly, this seems less about solving a problem and more "give me power so I can handle it myself". I've made it clear what you should do.

Quote:The only reason I see this idea working is because users favor instant gratification. The power is in their hands. They are allowed to moderate their own threads. If a certain comment doesn't match the feedback they desire, it can be removed. This wouldn't be for all forums, only certain forums such as release forums.

It doesn't work unless the deleted posts are checked by someone on the team. Again, we have a reporting system designed for the exact reason.

A member of the team can review the post, warned or ban the user if needed, and then a thread is created internally detailing the action taken against the user. Having their post deleted by the thread owner wouldn't come with any punishment. It doesn't solve a problem. It masks it and lets them feel powerful, creating more problems.

Quote:When a report comes in moderators act objectively. This works in most cases, but I would argue that this only causes more drama, case in point this thread. If the user was allowed to remove posts, he/she could simply removed the undesired post and move on. If the previous poster didn't like their post being removed they can ignore that user. No need for moderator intervention.

This is a single person who wants more power to solve a social problem. It's not really drama. Drama would be many people complaining that their posts are disappearing because thread creators have too much power. If you think people having their posts deleted will just accept that, you're wrong. It would result in complaints, arguments, anger, and people would be less inclined to give their opinion unless it's positive. There would be anger at the team for allowing it, and it would harm the community more than a few assholes could. What is needed is moderation by a group of people who are unbiased. Luckily, we have just that.
Listen to what Nathan's saying. He's absolutely right on all points.

If you really have an issue with a post someone makes, make a PI thread to discuss it with the team. The team members are reasonable people, and if they think the post should be removed, they'll remove it.

And trust me - if they're someone who always shitposts and never contributes valuable discussion to the community, the team knows who they are by now and they're on a silently-agreed-upon (or sometimes not so silent) list of annoying people that are close to a ban.

However, if you're accepting obvious flamebait and are annoyed by getting any semblance of negative feedback, then you should refrain from being on the internet (or at least sites where you can't moderate others' opinions). Don't expect to get sympathy or help from the team there.
I agree with Josh H. The mods here seem reasonable.

Hopefully I didn't get myself on the silently-agreed-upon annoying people list..
(2016-12-09, 10:17 AM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]I don't agree that "censoring" your own threads won't improve anything. A support thread is different to the other randomly created threads, I am not suggesting that all thread starters be able to moderate their threads. Obviously some people take pride in their work and don't want to see trash in their threads. The thread owner is the best judge between constructive criticism and trash.

A thread is a thread. Support or otherwise.

(2016-12-09, 10:17 AM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]An alternative may be a loose understanding between support thread owner and mods that when an offending post is reported, to just delete the offending post.

That's not an alternative. That's a way of allowing a thread creator to report every post that slightly goes against their ideals. Where does one draw the line?

As Nathan has stated, this is the internet. Not everyone has to like you.
If you release something out to a public forum/audience, you HAVE to accept that you're opening yourself up to all sorts of critiscism. Not everything in our lives is rosy and squishy, how you deal with the non-squishy episodes is what makes you stronger.

My advice to OP is, grow a set and move on - you can't change people, but you can choose to not let it bother you.
Pages: 1 2