MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How to switch domains without messing anything up?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I want to change my domain for my MyBB site.. But I don't know how to. I'm not switching hosts I just want to switch the domain. I tried this: I closed the board and backed up the database then I copied all the files to my new domain and it worked but when I login to the admin area once I click on a link in the admin area it logs me out everytime and I can't get to the other pages except index.php cause when it logs me out it won't let me login to the index with the "?" behind it like this: index.php?module=config. Can someone help me do this the real way???
It's logging you out most likely because your cookies inside your ACP is incorrect.

Couldn't you simply change your site settings in the ACP to your new URL after pointing your domain to your host?
The ideal way to do it is change your Board URL and Cookie Domain before you actually switch over, then do the switch, and the forum will work fine. If you did the switch first, you'll need to update your Cookie Domain in ./inc/settings.php, then save the Board URL and Cookie Domain in the ACP again.
You should always change the URL and cookie domain in the admin panel. Otherwise you'll have to manually edit settings.php and use phpmyadmin or some other database editor to update the board settings there too. Also trust me when I say you don't want to go that route. It's a time consuming process and there's a better way to do things. Remember to setup 301 redirects to the new pages on the new domain so you don't have to "start-over" on your SEO.
Thanks everyone! It worked lol