MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How to safely update MyBB?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm very new to MyBB but I have a bit of members and I need to update MyBB without messing up the theme or anything and I don't know how to and I'm scared I'll mess up my forums. I have MyBB 1.8.7 and I want to update to MyBB 1.8.8.
http://docs.mybb.com/1.8/install/upgrade/

Back up your files and database, upload the changed files (http://resources.mybb.com/downloads/chan...s_1808.zip), run the upgrade script.
(2016-12-11, 01:47 PM)GoldenBB Wrote: [ -> ]I'm very new to MyBB but I have a bit of members and I need to update MyBB without messing up the theme or anything and I don't know how to and I'm scared I'll mess up my forums. I have MyBB 1.8.7 and I want to update to MyBB 1.8.8.

Ok so first of all, login into your Admin CP go to Tools & Maintenance > Backup Database > Select all tables > Select the options you want > Either save the backup to the admin directory or download it to your desktop. Also, copy your forum files to your PC! Those will be the 2 backups you will need to do.

2nd: Download MyBB 1.8.8 files. Extract them from the ZIP folder. You will only need the "Upload" folder inside the ZIP one.

3rd: Select all files and folders from the "Upload" folder and upload them to your MyBB root directory. Those files must overwrite any existent ones!

4th: Once the upload is complete, open your MyBB forums and then add in front of the URL path: "/install/"

5th: Choose the option "Upgrade to MyBB 1.8.8" and select the previous version "1.8.7".

Finally once everything is done delete the install directory from your MyBB installation.

Thank you,
Pmx.pt
What upgrade script?
It is explained in the upgrade docs I linked to.

Quote:Open your forum’s home page in your web browser and add /install/ to the URL. For example, www.yourdomain.com/install/ or www.yourdomain.com/forum/install/.

Then, as explained above, you will need to choose the option to upgrade. Be careful not to choose the option to install, pick the option to upgrade.
I wouldn't trust the mybb database backup though, it was always a corrupt file for me.
(2016-12-11, 03:52 PM)thelovelyone Wrote: [ -> ]I wouldn't trust the mybb database backup though, it was always a corrupt file for me.

I didn't backup the database that way. I downloaded the database directly from my server.