MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Can Chris do it alone?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Many will say he has already done it alone, but realistically speaking, it looks too taxing for Chris to handle the development of MyBB alone. Though MusicalMidget is working with him but there feels to be a need of a team of more than two people to work continuously for MyBB. Producing a product like MyBB was no child's play and this school-going kid has no doubt done a tremendous job, but since MyBB doesn't earn Chris any penny and he has yet to finish his schooling, he cannot commit himself to MyBB beyond a certain limit of time and attention.

I look towards MyBB as a serious threat to VB and to sustain that threat, I believe the development pace should be maintained with more vigor and discipline. As we see in case of Gold getting delayed, a project like MyBB cannot afford a one-man show. Even if this thread irks status-quo lovers, I would suggest that Chris should start thinking of assembling a team of developers for future.
The thing is with your own software, you know what you've done. You know every nook and cranny. When other people start working on it, things would start changing and what you was working on and was thought to be fixed, could change as someone fixes the problem and you don't know about it.
Coding standards would have to be enforced. How many spaces to use to index? Use tabs insted of spaces? Write .table_prefix. instead of . table_prefix . (note spaces at start and end). These things are small but do make the code hap-hazard and disjointed.

But I also agree that he should take on one more person/friend to help when he's busy. But maybe he just wants to say "This is mine!" Toungue
I think this topic is harsh and just a bit rude. Chris has clearly managed to build a very good board so far so how on earth would he not be able to sustain it?. Lets face it this version of the board is up there with the premiums (i know that having used both considerably) and will only get better. The fact is the foundation is now built all that is needed is updates.
This project is of just merely a hobby for Chris. When has the extra time, he does all the coding. I'm surprised how well this software turned out when he doesn't put all his time and effort on this. MyBB is already a threat to VB and thats with an 18-19 year old still going to school and not getting paid to do this. I think that is enough for him. For all we know, he is NOT obligated to keep this project running. He could just cut the chord let's say....right about........now. And no one would have any say in it.

Chris isn't on the hunt to make MyBB a forum empire much like IPB/Vbulletin...I think he's a bit surprised how many people use MyBB as is. Think of the potential when he ACTUALLY puts all of his time to this.
I think progress is great. I think Chris can do it alone, but no doubt if more people are recruited, the development will most likely speed up.
As long as Chris is still working on it at all, I'm happy Smile I dont much care if its 2 weeks or 2 months, (6 months limit though), as long as its release, thats great!
This was my main reason leaving mybb to a more professional forum software. It is a lot for someone to handle on their own and having the project labeled as a hobby and as Corey stated could be dropped at anytime without anyone having a say in it had me a bit worried about the direction of the project. Other things also concern me especially when security becomes a big concern. This is not something I want to build my community around where you are not sure whats going to happen. Some other things have popped up recently that had me concerned as well which I will keep to myself. I respect Chris and I think he has created a nice base to grow from and become better but still has a ways to go to compete with invision and vB if that is even a goal here, which I don't think is. I think Chris is just tyring to make a great alternative without a price tag and in my opinion the best free alternative out there. Leaps and bounds ahead of other projects such as phpBB. I will always keep an eye out here for future projects though Smile
Keith Wrote:This was my main reason leaving mybb to a more professional forum software. It is a lot for someone to handle on their own and having the project labeled as a hobby and as Corey stated could be dropped at anytime without anyone having a say in it had me a bit worried about the direction of the project. Other things also concern me especially when security becomes a big concern. This is not something I want to build my community around where you are not sure whats going to happen. Some other things have popped up recently that had me concerned as well which I will keep to myself. I respect Chris and I think he has created a nice base to grow from and become better but still has a ways to go to compete with invision and vB if that is even a goal here, which I don't think is. I think Chris is just tyring to make a great alternative without a price tag and in my opinion the best free alternative out there. Leaps and bounds ahead of other projects such as phpBB. I will always keep an eye out here for future projects though Smile

Keith you have a point somewhat similar to what I was pointing to. But you can't beat the status-quo lovers who are in a great number here. I never take any credit away from Chris. Let me reiterate that he has done a wonder, but we must understand what it takes to keep a wonder really wonderful. Pleae don't attack me for thinking about future. I still love MyBB and Chris Smile
Like I said, this is just a hobby for chris. You're asking a bit too much on how MyBB should be down the near future. At this stage, MyBB is still fairly young and is not as popular as the other competing services (vb, ipb, phpbb). Chris is going at his own pace and that what makes it even better in the next releases. He has time to calm down and do things right and check for anything perculiar about the software.

About your question, yes Chris can ultimately do it by himself, but the question is, are you patient enough to wait for his next releases.
Pages: 1 2