MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: how can i secure my website from softwares like httrack
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
If you found your theme using on an unauthorized website you are free to file DMCA complaint to its Datacenter(on which website is hosted) along with details if datacenter comes under in any type of Copyright Act it will remove the files from his DC and can ban the user. If website is hosted on offshore(they don't obey copyright laws) then there is nothing you can do to get your theme removed from their DCs.
(2017-01-03, 07:10 AM)Gentledentists Wrote: [ -> ]So, is there ANYWAY to stop those users ripping the demo?

Nope.
(2017-01-03, 07:10 AM)Gentledentists Wrote: [ -> ]I recently got a Site Template approved on Themeforest. I am getting just too much traffic on my site and noticed that my demo on Themeforest is getting ripped by some softwares such as HTTrack. If it continues sales on the item may decrease eventually.
So, is there ANYWAY to stop those users ripping the demo?
FYI, I am not using any kind of VPS or personal server. I just hosted my files on a shared hosting.
I would be glad if anyone helps me in this problem.
[Image: stcczq.png]
If you had a VPS you could configure nginx with the above code to block httrack's useragent among other common bots Big Grin
(2017-02-11, 05:19 AM)Lunorian Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-01-03, 07:10 AM)Gentledentists Wrote: [ -> ]I recently got a Site Template approved on Themeforest. I am getting just too much traffic on my site and noticed that my demo on Themeforest is getting ripped by some softwares such as HTTrack. If it continues sales on the item may decrease eventually.
FYI, I am not using any kind of VPS or personal server. I just hosted my files on a shared hosting.
If you had a VPS you could configure nginx with the above code to block httrack's useragent among other common bots Big Grin

That only stops the least determined of attackers. Simply passing a parameter to curl, for example, will completely avoid this. Trying to avoid scraping is futile, unfortunately.

Your attacker would have to be the worst of script kiddies to be stopped by that.
(2017-02-12, 05:01 AM)Josh H. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-02-11, 05:19 AM)Lunorian Wrote: [ -> ]

That only stops the least determined of attackers. Simply passing a parameter to curl, for example, will completely avoid this. Trying to avoid scraping is futile, unfortunately.

Your attacker would have to be the worst of script kiddies to be stopped by that.

But hey it works. Anyways even if someone did successfully use httrack they'd get nothing of value :/
(2017-02-12, 08:02 PM)Lunorian Wrote: [ -> ]But hey it works. Anyways even if someone did successfully use httrack they'd get nothing of value :/

You're basing that on what, exactly? It's trivial to change a user agent string.
(2017-02-12, 11:58 PM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-02-12, 08:02 PM)Lunorian Wrote: [ -> ]But hey it works. Anyways even if someone did successfully use httrack they'd get nothing of value :/

You're basing that on what, exactly? It's trivial to change a user agent string.

It works to block httrack in it's default configuration. A smart person can always change that. However as it's been stated multiple times there are very few legitimate reasons to block the software. If you are worried about it using a lot of bandwidth I totally get blocking it. But the strategies only go so far. You could possibly use the browser check feature on a service like WebDeflect but again, a smart person can always find a way around it. The only thing you can do is limit how effective bots are. Have you considered just rate limiting traffic? If you set traffic to say 100 max requests a minute or so you could stop it from eating too much bandwidth at once.
Pages: 1 2