MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: how can i secure my website from softwares like httrack
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
how can i secure my website from softwares like httrack and other softwares that can copy my website.
i want to secure it.
and is it possible to get ddos protection for free. like cloudflare or anything that helps.
Ah securing from httrack? as far i know, MyBB is based on php and these softwares can only copy the html part not the database and php files it is a difficult task for any software to clone something that is written in php or any other parsing language. And for DDoS protection you can use cloudflare for free and Sucuri for paid protection.
CloudFlare has a free plan.

You won't be able to block httrack completely.
(2016-12-13, 03:52 AM)Dark-Power-Invader Wrote: [ -> ]Ah securing from httrack? as far i know, MyBB is based on php and these softwares can only copy the html part not the database and php files it is a difficult task for any software to clone something that is written in php or any other parsing language. And for DDoS protection you can use cloudflare for free and Sucuri for paid protection.
alright thanks. but  i don't want people to be able t copy my website the way it looks and stuff. if thats possible.
(2016-12-13, 05:27 AM)Wage Wrote: [ -> ]CloudFlare has a free plan.

ok thanks ill try it Smile
(2016-12-13, 05:49 AM)NaughtyMrBear Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-12-13, 03:52 AM)Dark-Power-Invader Wrote: [ -> ]Ah securing from httrack? as far i know, MyBB is based on php and these softwares can only copy the html part not the database and php files it is a difficult task for any software to clone something that is written in php or any other parsing language. And for DDoS protection you can use cloudflare for free and Sucuri for paid protection.
alright thanks. but  i don't want people to be able t copy my website the way it looks and stuff. if thats possible.
(2016-12-13, 05:27 AM)Wage Wrote: [ -> ]CloudFlare has a free plan.

ok thanks ill try it Smile

HTTrack is typically used to rip static html/css websites, using it on a forum based website is a waste of time (they'd be better off viewing your source page by page). As for what Dark-Power said I'd suggest getting cloudflare, don't get Sucuri unless you know how to protect your backend IP because if that IP gets hit Sucuri is useless.
(2016-12-13, 05:49 AM)NaughtyMrBear Wrote: [ -> ]alright thanks. but  i don't want people to be able t copy my website the way it looks and stuff. if thats possible.

It's not. HTML, CSS and javascript is all client side, there's nothing you can do to stop people copying it.
You cannot stop people from ripping CSS/HTML.
CloudFlare's I'm Under Attack mode will be httrack's job very hard. You can leave the mode on 24/7/365 and it doesn't affect Google or other search engines and preapproved by CloudFlare, bots (stuff like Facebook, Twitter, Bitly, etc) , from accessing your site. In addation just rate limiting the amount of requests. Stuff like httrack will almost always hit rate limits.

(2016-12-13, 07:43 PM)Sazze Wrote: [ -> ]You cannot stop people from ripping CSS/HTML.

However you can make their job a lot harder.
Is your site really that special that someone will copy it? It's rather rare for someone to HTTrack a forum to clone it. It's a waste of time really. They can just manually clone your layout without any special software too.
I recently got a Site Template approved on Themeforest. I am getting just too much traffic on my site and noticed that my demo on Themeforest is getting ripped by some softwares such as HTTrack. If it continues sales on the item may decrease eventually.
So, is there ANYWAY to stop those users ripping the demo?
FYI, I am not using any kind of VPS or personal server. I just hosted my files on a shared hosting.
I would be glad if anyone helps me in this problem.
Pages: 1 2