MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Control over animated images
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've not personally got any problem with animated images, however there are some people that suffer from either things like epilepsy where they try to steer clear of animations due to concerns about their condition and then there are those that find a forum loaded with animations unbearable to look at.

It is possible for people to stop these in their browser settings (http://www.wikihow.com/Stop-Animated-Ima...-a-Browser) however that blocks animations from all sites until they change their settings again.

What I suggest is an option to "Flatten" animated images to their first frame from the admin panel.
This would mean that any images uploaded to the site through the forum or proxied (If that's being covered) should be parsed in such a way as to allow the image to be flattened when the admin says so.

It could be possible to set it as a personalised preference through the userCP, however this would only be effective when they are logged in which would kind of defeat the point when they are logged out.

I know it could be a lot of additional work, which is why I've mentioned the browser settings here since it would likely be pointed at if rejected.

It's definitely something that would require a core implementation or at least a hook into the image parser if suggested to consider plugins.