MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: SMTP mail error 554
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i get this in the log: The mail server does not understand the RCPT TO command. Reason: 554 5.7.1 Recipient address rejected: Username [email protected] and sender doesn't match

Apparently i need to configure a "from" mail, else my host wont allow my forum to send mails.
Where do i enter this in SMTP ?

And yes i have checked the docs.mybb.com and it doesnt seem up to date.
It appears that you are trying to send from a separate email address that your mail.com email address. This is completely normal. https://www.mail.com/ is a personal email service and doesn't allow you to send from alternate addresses for anti-spam purposes. I.e. if you tried to send from [email protected] with a mail.com smtp account it won't let you.

However there are plenty of SMTP Relay Services, it may seem a bit biased since I'm a very happy customer but I recommend AWS Simple Email Service you have to go through an approval process but once your setup it's great. Another option is to use PHP Mail (beware of IP Leaks if your behind something like CloudFlare).

On the other hand are you trying to send with your mail.com email address as the from email address? If so use the following:
AdminCP -> Configuration Tab -> Site Details -> Edit Admin Email (it'll be the from address)

Please let us know if this resolved your issue or if you need further assistance Smile
Well the "mail.com" was just to fil in something, sorry.
Im using [email protected] and thats where it wont work.

Problem is users dont get the automated "verification mail"

Ive used my [email protected] to login to my hosts SMTP, though when it sends the mails there is not specified a "sender" which is why my host doesnt allow the access.

Everything from theyre side is setup correct, i just need a specified "sender" somewhere in some file.
(2016-12-23, 07:58 PM)Mikkelsen Wrote: [ -> ]Well the "mail.com" was just to fil in something, sorry.
Im using [email protected] and thats where it wont work.

Problem is users dont get the automated "verification mail"

Ive used my [email protected] to login to my hosts SMTP, though when it sends the mails there is not specified a "sender" which is why my host doesnt allow the access.

Everything from theyre side is setup correct, i just need a specified "sender" somewhere in some file.

Oh ok. The only thing I can think of "sender" wise is the admin email address. Who is your host? I might be able to look into it for you.