MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: The view from the outside...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello Everyone!

Well I managed to get MyBB installed using XAMPP but I'm still having issues.  Confused When I look at the site when logged into the local server everything looks fine. I get the beautiful MyBB theme and everything seems to work. But when I try to look at it from any other location it's not being render correctly. I attached a small .png to show what it looks like from an external browser. It's just s small portion of what the screen looks like.

I installed XAMPP but did not use the MyBB plugin from XAMPP. It produced errors when I tried to load it. Instead I installed MyBB directly from the MyBB website.

Why does it look fine locally but won't render from an external browser?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I presume you're trying to access it over a local IP? You'll need to change the Board URL and Cookie Domain to be that IP address; currently the Board URL will be http://localhost, but that means that when a user visits it remotely, it tries to access the files on that user's machine, where they don't exist.
(2016-12-23, 07:55 PM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]I presume you're trying to access it over a local IP? You'll need to change the Board URL and Cookie Domain to be that IP address; currently the Board URL will be http://localhost, but that means that when a user visits it remotely, it tries to access the files on that user's machine, where they don't exist.

Ok.. What should I change it to? The IP of the router with a port forward to the server? I'm on a home machine and my provider has port 80 closed. I can redirect it to a different port if required Smile
It'd be the IP of the host machine - are you planning to actually serve a live website from a computer on your network though? I'd very heavily advise against that.
(2016-12-23, 08:08 PM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]It'd be the IP of the host machine - are you planning to actually serve a live website from a computer on your network though? I'd very heavily advise against that.

Well yes it will be on a home server. But it's just friends and family. I'm using odd ports and stuff so you really need to know where and what it is.

Thanks for the help!

Ugg.. That made it worse!! Now it won't render anywhere. hmm... I have Apache set up to listen on an alternate port because port 80 is blocked.. At least it's NOT saying it can't find anything but I'm not getting any rendering.

Any thoughts on that?

Got it working! Thanks!