MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: question about blogs....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
is there a way that i can host a weblog from my own computer?

basically just like hosting a website or forum from a home computer.
You would need a web server application:
Windows 98 comes with PWS [an older version of IIS]
Apache is probably the most popular web server software used. It can work on both Linux/Unix and Windows
Xitami is good as well. Xitami is quite Windows-friendly although it works on Linux as well.

Then you'll probably need to install PHP and MySQL if your Blog uses those technologies. And then you need to configure your web server software to work with the PHP/MySQL.

Then there are also distributions like PHP Triad that install automatically Apache, MySQL, PHP all at once which is quite a bit easier than installing all 3 by yourself (the disadvantage of this is that sometimes it's hard to upgrade without breaking the rest of the "triad")
There are actually quite a few easy installers for Windows to run Apache, mySQL and PHP...
I've used Apache2Triad myself....very nice and easy...but you can also consider

any of these:

Hotscripts listings

Cheers,
Kimmo
and which one will you recommend Kimmo? Apache Friends XAMPP or Apache2Triad? Or anything else?
This was useful for my friend that wanted a server. http://mpcon.org/apacheguide/ Just ignore the JSP stuff. Keep in mind even though you set up a server on your home computer, it wont be viewable when you are offline. You can view it when offline but others cant.
I've only installed Apache2Triad for myself and it worked perfectly for my needs....can't comment on the other ones...
XAMPP is easy to setup and it includes everything ya need such as php and mysql.