MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Convert Large SMF 2.0 to MyBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all,
I am new to MyBB and love its clean code base compared to SMF. My SMF 2.0 forum is currently 1.5 million posts and I would like to port to MyBB (crazy I know). I was thinking of using the merge utility, but I am fairly sure that I will run into max execution time issues as the SMF database is over 1.5GB in size. Does anyone have any thoughts on this conversion?

I was going to write a script in Python (I'm on a VPS) that would mainly copy over the user and post tables. The forum permissions aren't complex as there are only 2 administrators / moderators.
(2016-12-31, 07:23 PM)primesoftware Wrote: [ -> ]My SMF 2.0 forum is currently 1.5 million posts and I would like to port to MyBB (crazy I know).

Sensible you mean Wink

(2016-12-31, 07:23 PM)primesoftware Wrote: [ -> ]I am fairly sure that I will run into max execution time issues as the SMF database is over 1.5GB in size

I think the merge system will "page" the import, so it will do it in chunks, so you shouldn't hit any timeout limits. If not, could you not just remove the max execution time temporarily?
(2016-12-31, 07:29 PM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-12-31, 07:23 PM)primesoftware Wrote: [ -> ]My SMF 2.0 forum is currently 1.5 million posts and I would like to port to MyBB (crazy I know).

Sensible you mean Wink

(2016-12-31, 07:23 PM)primesoftware Wrote: [ -> ]I am fairly sure that I will run into max execution time issues as the SMF database is over 1.5GB in size

I think the merge system will "page" the import, so it will do it in chunks, so you shouldn't hit any timeout limits. If not, could you not just remove the max execution time temporarily?

I could remove the PHP max execution limit, however I am concerned about the effects on Apache since I am on a production server. I will see if merge can page the import.

You guys did a really awesome job here keeping the code base clean especially when adding plugins. SMF is a nightmare. Also, editing the templates was a breeze. It took me over a week to get the SMF template to where I wanted it. Unfortunately, I inherited the SMF forum otherwise I would be running MyBB from the start.
Ah, that's fair enough. Sometimes people run the merges on their local machines or something if they only have access to a live server. But yeah, without downloading it and setting it up, from memory it does page, and would make sense to as it's meant for large imports.

Thanks for the positive feedback though! One thing we've always aimed for with MyBB is ease of use, with high flexibility and customisability Smile