MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Conversations plugin for MyBB 1.8
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Is someone willing to write up a quick "conversations" plugin for MyBB 1.8 (yes I know it'll be core in 2.0)? Maybe someone could touch up this project on GitHub that I found and get it completely working. It's for MyBB 1.6 but if someone can maybe update for 1.8?
I would love for someone to create a replacement for default PM's.  Conversation systems have been made, but there's nothing free or openly available that I'm aware of.

As for the Github conversations project, EuanT would probably be the only one willing to finish it, and he is busy with MyBB 2.0.
(2017-01-03, 03:41 PM)Eldenroot Wrote: [ -> ]https://github.com/MyBBStuff/MyBB-Conversation-System

It's for MyBB 1.6 not 1.8 and probably needs some things updated.
(2017-01-01, 07:01 AM)Lunorian Wrote: [ -> ]Is someone willing to write up a quick "conversations" plugin for MyBB 1.8 (yes I know it'll be core in 2.0)? Maybe someone could touch up this project on GitHub that I found and get it completely working. It's for MyBB 1.6 but if someone can maybe update for 1.8?

I know this is a very old thread, but maybe you and/or others are still looking for a conversations plugin, in which case you might be interested in one that I've been developing over several months, which I'm calling MyConversations. You can read about it here:

MyConversations: a conversations plugin for MyBB

As I note there, I plan on releasing this plugin commercially, but I would be willing to exchange a commercial licence for some beta testing and feedback from a few forum owners (honest feedback welcome - no expectation of positive reviews). I'm posting now because the code is currently very close to being ready for that kind of testing. Please let me know either here or privately if you're interested - or if you'd be interested in a straight-out purchase when I do release the first commercial version of the plugin.
If the one above doesn't work out for you, there is also Symposium from MyBBoost. I use it personally on my board and I can vouch for it. It's a paid plugin, but it's worth the cost and you get several other plugins included with it. Smile
(2020-04-28, 11:06 PM)Darth Apple Wrote: [ -> ]If the one above doesn't work out for you, there is also Symposium from MyBBoost. I use it personally on my board and I can vouch for it. It's a paid plugin, but it's worth the cost and you get several other plugins included with it. Smile

Yes, I wasn't aware of Symposium when I started development on MyConversations, but when I became aware of it, I found that based on its feature listing it didn't seem to totally meet the needs of some of the members of Psience Quest, so I continued development on MyConversations anyway (I haven't purchased Symposium so I don't know for sure that it lacks the features our members need). Otherwise, I wouldn't have started what might look like a competition.
@Laird: Ah, took a look at yours. It looks good. I will say that multi-user conversations are a nice feature. Smile

I'll be following.
(2020-04-29, 03:41 AM)Darth Apple Wrote: [ -> ]@Laird: Ah, took a look at yours. It looks good. I will say that multi-user conversations are a nice feature. Smile

I'll be following.

Thanks! And yes, multi-user conversations were one of the needs our members had that Symposium didn't seem to meet when I first checked it out. Also, the idea of conversation groups, so a bunch of everyday members can create a sort of "private forum lite" for themselves, independent of any need for admin or moderator support or approval. Attachments was another missing feature, IIRC, but I might be misremembering - perhaps Symposium does support attachments at this point.
I have been testing @Laird's plugin for a while (pre-release version) - it is cool and the one with most features... there is no other alternative for this one! I recommend it! Stay tuned!
Pages: 1 2 3