MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MySQL database backup too large to upload via phpMyAdmin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am trying to restore a MyBB forum, currently the files appear to be all set but importing the old database is another story.

I am using phpMyAdmin and don't have access to other database uploaders at the moment.
Compressed as a zip file, the backup is 51.9 MB. It starts importing fine but only some of the tables end up getting uploaded before I get a 504 Gateway Time-out.

If there is a way to split the file, or extend the timeout limit, or something, that would be really useful. Otherwise I'm not really sure what to do.
If you have SSH access to server, you may be able to FTP the database, then do a command line import through PuTTy. I have used that method for a 128MB db.

I have also asked hosting support to do a one-time import.

If you cannot create a backup, it will be difficult to split an existing complete backup.

An alternative is to have a local server where you can import the entire database, then export it in parts.

If you had the database available somewhere, it could be downloaded into one of those environments where it could be split. But there are so many ways it could go wrong. Your best bet is to make a support call to your forum host.
Quote:51.9 MB. It starts importing fine but only some of the tables end up getting uploaded before I get a 504 Gateway Time-out.

Can You .Zip Divide the size database 51.9 MB in files size 10 MB.
(2017-01-09, 03:32 AM)DiegoPino Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:51.9 MB. It starts importing fine but only some of the tables end up getting uploaded before I get a 504 Gateway Time-out.

That's so much more convoluted than it has to be.
(2017-01-09, 08:21 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-01-09, 03:32 AM)DiegoPino Wrote: [ -> ]

That's so much more convoluted than it has to be.

My Answer its try to alternative solution for the User, Via PhpMyAdmin its more simple in Files with 10 MG are easier than a single File of 100 MB.

You Answer Looks Like an Expert, But Not Respond to Me, try to Help the USER with information or alternatives Not with ambiguous comments.
Problem with .zip partitions is, you don't know where the break is. If you try to import it, the last record may be split across the divide. Also, the beginning of the next partition is not likely to contain the instructions of where the next record is supposed to go.

If the OP was trying to restore, and all he had was a single database backup file, then he's really up against the wall.

If, however, he were planning ahead for such an event, he could backup parts of the database into files of manageable size. If the backup was created in parts, for example part 1 is tables adminlogs through helpsections, part 2 is icons through pollvotes, part 3 is posts (the largest table in my database), part 4 is privatemessages through warningtypes, then each part can be restored without problem.

This method calls for planning ahead and checking to see if the files are not too big.
(2017-01-09, 06:28 PM)HLFadmin Wrote: [ -> ]Problem with .zip partitions is, you don't know where the break is. If you try to import it, the last record may be split across the divide. Also, the beginning of the next partition is not likely to contain the instructions of where the next record is supposed to go.

If the OP was trying to restore, and all he had was a single database backup file, then he's really up against the wall.

If, however, he were planning ahead for such an event, he could backup parts of the database into files of manageable size. If the backup was created in parts, for example part 1 is tables adminlogs through helpsections, part 2 is icons through pollvotes, part 3 is posts (the largest table in my database), part 4 is privatemessages through warningtypes, then each part can be restored without problem.

This method calls for planning ahead and checking to see if the files are not too big.

i Hope with Your Information arguments HLFadmin can help or guide the user with the problem!

i am Not a expert, just try to write a solution i found time ago with a database 60 MB, my Solution was export in parts looks like:
  • mybb_forums.
  • mybb_polls,
  • mybb_post,
  • ...etc

You Are Welcome,
I hope that the user can solve his problem with the database!