MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Board Browsing Only Mode & Notification Popup on Login
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
#1 Idea - Just a thought I've had whilst performing some recent maintenance of my own over recent weeks. I've wanted to keep my forum open (i.e. not use the board open/closed setting within ACP), but I've not wanted any new content to be posted to the site.

Not sure if such a mode would be useful to others, but a browse only mode where users cannot either post or sign up (with an added notification of such on the index) was what I had in mind.

#2 Idea - Recently experimenting with IBP, they have a nice feature similar to the MyBB Alerts plugin which pops up a notification with a chime sound effect of any new notifications since you last logged in (both notification + chime can be turned off by the user). This includes any activity relevant to you such as: you've been quoted, replies to threads, messages, etc

Just thoughts.
#1 might be a nice idea, kind of like an archive mode of the site.

#2 has already been marked as planned.
1# Not needed, people like to hide the changes they are making to the site until they are ready. They may be fixing serious bugs and don't want people browsing the site.

Also, one suggestion per thread please.
#1 Create a staging environment where you can test stuff. Once it works as expected, make the changes to your live board.
(2017-01-10, 08:23 PM)Ben Wrote: [ -> ]1# Not needed, people like to hide the changes they are making to the site until they are ready. They may be fixing serious bugs and don't want people browsing the site.

Also, one suggestion per thread please.

(2017-01-11, 03:19 AM)dragonexpert Wrote: [ -> ]#1 Create a staging environment where you can test stuff. Once it works as expected, make the changes to your live board.

It was more from the point of view of 'I want to freeze the database for some reason but don't want to close the site' - this occurrence may not be that frequent but does occur.