MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: 403 Error | Adding HTML in Online/Offline Message.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have NO idea why this is doing this because I know of other admins who use HTML in the online/offline message.

However, every time I try to use HTML in the Online/Offline message (configuration --> board settings --> online/offline) I get a 403 Error as displayed in the attachment. And then I can't access my site (the main site, mybb admin panel OR my cpanel for like 5 mins).

Anyone know what is going on?

SITE: http://elspeth-rpg.com/

As an additional note, the message will save if I don't use any HTML.
Check if your host has mod_security installed, the 5 minute lockout suggests some security checks are set up and they lock out, probably your IP, when triggered, especially if you can't even access your cPanel as that's nothing to do with MyBB. Maybe your HTML contained something that triggered the checks whereas the other admins used different HTML that didn't.
Do I need to contact my host to gain that information or would it be located in my cPanel?

I've searched through there, even used the search option but can't find anything related to: mod_security or mod security.
It's probably easier and quicker to contact your host if you are not experienced. Some hosts have it installed for their users to use in cpanel and some don't.
I shall do that!

Thanks to the both of you! Smile

I will report back here with an answer at some point.
Back with some information.

There isn't anything like mod_security installed like Matt suggested may be (or at least nothing of the sort that they mentioned in e-mail).

I did use Softalicious to install MyBB software for me, could this be an issue from that? Softalicious missed a step somewhere along the way?

I've also enabled .htaccess to see if that would help, still the same problem so I changed it back to htaccess.txt
Shouldn't be related, the server just don't like the request being made to it so need to try and find out what specifically, the server error logs are what you'll need to check then.
These are the only error logs in my cPanel and I'm going to imagine all these are from when I uninstalled and reinstalled MyBB earlier today in an effort to see if softalicious messed up the first time. But alas this issue is still occuring.

---------

- realized that the logs contain my ip address, I am willing to PM them to you if that would help?
Yeah would be better to PM them.
Okay, logs only contained an error about a missing plugin file.

It sounds like this is something set up at server level then so won't be in your site's error log - can you ask your host specifically what is set up to lock you out of your cPanel for 5 minutes? What seems to be happening is that there is some sort of firewall or intrusion detection system set up which blocks your IP for 5 minutes when it thinks it's detected an attack - the fact your cPanel is inaccessible means it is installed at a server level, so we need to try and extract that information from them.
Pages: 1 2