MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Can create multiple usergroups with the same name
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Basically admins create usergroups. If an admin wants to make two groups with the same name then so be it. And if the admin mistakenly makes two groups with the same name I'm fairly sure he can fix in with a few clicks.

This should be a non-issue unless any actual negatives can occur by having 2 groups with the same name. In almost all cases I'm aware groups are compared by GID not groupname.

Quote:I'd consider this a bug

I don't.

btw...do you also consider it a bug you can create 2 forums with the same name?
(2017-03-01, 09:14 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Basically admins create usergroups. If an admin wants to make two groups with the same name then so be it.  And if the admin mistakenly makes two groups with the same name I'm fairly sure he can fix in with a few clicks.  

This should be a non-issue unless any actual negatives can occur by having 2 groups with the same name.  In almost all cases I'm aware groups are compared by GID not groupname.

Quote:I'd consider this a bug

I don't.

btw...do you also consider it a bug you can create 2 forums with the same name?

Do you let more than one user have the same username on your forum?
Having the same username is different than two usergroups having the same name. That would create confusion to users where as two usergroups with the same name are less likely to.
The main problem with double user group names could be in main or plugin settings. In most settings are groupselect options. Some users could be confused and select the wrong group what in worst case could be a secutity risk.
(2017-03-01, 09:14 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]btw...do you also consider it a bug you can create 2 forums with the same name?

I consider it a bug that you can create 2 forums with the same name with the same immediate parent. Having two forums with the same name - but different hierarchy - probably is an edge case.
(2017-03-01, 10:38 PM)SvePu Wrote: [ -> ]The main problem with double user group names could be in main or plugin  settings. In most settings are groupselect options. Some users could be confused [...]

That's a good argument, but as mentioned already, it might break some custom workarounds; additionally, we would start limiting functionality if we intended to make the ACP 100% foolproof, whereas the main objective of MyBB's development is easy extensibility.
Fixed, can be closed.
Pages: 1 2