MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: purge spammer log
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I would like a plugin to log info of purge spammer (the username, email, ip, and post content). And by post content, spammers only get 1 post in on our forum before they are purged. So content would be their post title and post itself. We have numerous admins and mods, so you only get to see the spam when you purge the spammer. So there is no way to look at the log of spammers and say "9/10 times it is in this format...so lets ban this phrase or this content posted in this way". We have a plugin that restricts posting of keywords/phrases, but we cant find what these keywords/phrases are because everyone purges the spammer so fast, you cant see the content.
So you want a plugin that logs anytime a moderator bans a "spammer"? Based on what credentials are you logging..? Every time a user is banned with <2 posts or what? I don't really know what purging a spammer means to be honest.

And if that is what you want honestly is it that hard for mods to copy the user's ip and email when they ban them and just like put them in a master file/thread somewhere? I get that people can forget and whatnot but a plugin seems totally unnecessary here if I'm understanding what you want.
Quote:And if that is what you want honestly is it that hard for mods to copy the user's ip and email when they ban them and just like put them in a master file/thread somewhere?
Ive done this. A plugin would automate the process putting less work into just logging spammers for mods and admins. Plus we have so many mods/admins that some dont bother doing this, while some are doing it and requesting for the info to try to get a log of what the spam is like. To make a "rule" to log spammers seems ridiculous. And a plugin to automate the process is completely possible.

Quote:I don't really know what purging a spammer means to be honest.
purge spammer button was a plugin in 1.6, but in 1.8 is now a core feature. It allows you to delete the user profile, remove their posts/threads, and send some info (IP address, email, username) to stop forum spam in which they are banned from registration on other forums that look at their list of spammers. It does this all in one button press from a mod/admin. It makes it much easier and quicker to remove spammers. Before this you had to manually do each one of these for each spammer. a pain in the *ss. 

Quote:So you want a plugin that logs anytime a moderator bans a "spammer"? 
anytime the purge spammer button is executed on a user

Quote:I get that people can forget and whatnot but a plugin seems totally unnecessary here if I'm understanding what you want.
You could manually copy their post, manually log their IP/username/email and make a "spammer thread" to keep track. But that is a lot of work. A plugin can automate this process. You only need to check the log when you need it, instead of constantly spending your time logging spammers and their content.
Ahh I gotcha, that's cool I've never purged anyone before lol. But ya I'll look at it.
we seem to purge 5-10 spammers a day.
(2017-01-24, 01:11 AM)metulburr Wrote: [ -> ]we seem to purge 5-10 spammers a day.

Have y'all implemented any anti-spam plugins?
oh yeah that is just what gets through. 

email verification, captcha, security questions, new registration restricted features, no links allowed for registration groups, blocked spammy keywords. There are some more but i dont want to give spammers a blue print. Without these measures we would have hundreds per day. 

You get more spam when you are high on google rank. There is no stopping it. We are #1 and #2 for keywords python forum which is what a lot of users google for
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=python+forum