MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Forums running slow
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I am currently having a serious issue with speed of MyBB installation. Any forum or admin page needs around 15 seconds to load. Firefox developer console shows that it has to wait 15 seconds before the call to index.php gives response, all the subsequent calls run quick. I have tried searching for information via Google,
  1. It is not fault of the hosting. I have installed new MyBB forums and it worked smoothly. I do also run PunBB forums and vTiger CRM system, which is a lot more resource and processor-hungry than MyBB. Simply, anything runs fine, so the hosting's resources aren't the problem. 
  2. Here's the load log. In Polish but can understand each part easily. Server load is 1, RAM i 2,5MB:
    Wygenerowano w ciągu 56 ms (83.20% PHP / 16.80% MySQL) 
    Liczba zapytań SQL: 13 / Obciążenie serwera: 1 / Zużycie pamięci: 2.5 MB

3. The forum's pretty fresh installation, I've been running it for like a month. It has around 50 users and 50 posts, nothing heavy. I am using Cloudflare additionally.
  4. Have verified files and also checked template files, no problems were detected. As it has been suggested in some other threads, I have downloaded all the files and searched for base64 - there were some but nothing seemed malicious.
  5. I do use MyFBConnect, Inline Success Messages, DVZ Shoutbox, ezGallery Lite and Flatty theme. Tried disabling all the addons except for MyFBConnect. Did not help.
  6. URL: https://nahafciarce.ml
The issue started appearing when I've played with Google SEO, I am not sure when exactly though. When the problem appeared, I did cautiously turn off all the options, reverted changes to function files, modified .htaccess and removed the addon properly but the issue did not go away.

Later I updated from 1.8.8 to 1.8.10. Everything went okay, yet problem still persists.

The most probable reason is somewhere inside /inc/ directory, as when I have installed a fresh forum and copied DB, everything worked fine. Only after copying most of the /inc/ form the old, slow installation to the new one - forums stared lagging again.

Any ideas what could be the cause? I would rather avoid checking every single file from the /inc so if you have any similar experiences, please, provide some advice. If there won't be any ideas - then well, I will have to upload /inc files one by one to check them Wink

Thanks,
Greg
It loads quite quickly for me? If the debug stats say 56ms even when it takes 15 seconds to load in your browser, then it's not MyBB that's the issue, because it's generating the page within a few hundredths of a second as per those stats. if you can track down which specific file in ./inc/ it is that makes it go faster/slower that would help, as nothing major has changed anywhere recently and nobody else seems to be having this sort of loading time.
(2017-01-29, 06:03 PM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]It loads quite quickly for me?

Oh, well! I did not think about it at all, only tried running the site via Edge browser any everything was as slow as in Firefox. Gotta try investigating if it's quicker on my device/IP/ whatever on my side. Thank you for pointing that out!
Forum is loading quick for me too just for clarification.
Seems to load okay for me using CHrome.
Loads quickly for me too, location UK.
I would recommend using something like YSlow and seeing what you can sort to get page speeds lower.
Google Pagespeed Insights is also useful Smile

Pingdom provides the following:
[Image: e7a170dbfd.png]
Yeah it depends on where the bottleneck is - if the TTFB in the request debug tools in Chrome is 15 seconds, but the page generation time is 56ms, then it would seem like there's some issue with the server actually sending the response. Without being able to reproduce the issue though, it's hard to know.
Okay, reason found, it was Cloudflare caching. Anyways, thank you, everyone, for trying to help, if not for you I would still blame MyBB and attempt to fix "something" in the forum engine : )

When I found out today that the page is loading so slow when accessed from my workplace as well, I got a bit nervous, as it would seem that all new visitors (like you, here) have no problems, whereas all PCs that had visited the page before yesterday, when the issue appeared, had the "15 second" lag.

So I have looked into Firefox dev console in detail and found out that one file, cache/themes/theme3/serversboard.min.css returns 522 after 15 seconds. I haved checked how does the file look by copying direct link to it and as I supposed - a Cloudflare's 522 error popped up - "connection has timed out".

That means that each time I accessed the page, Cloudflare wanted to reach the abovementioned file and for some reason was not able to. Not sure if there was problem with the cached file or accessing it on my server (it was on the server allt the time). After 15 seconds it simply gave up and burped 522, forums loaded without problems (by the way, what is the "serversboard" responsible for? I couldn't have googled it out).

So, I have to do something with Clouflare cache. As for now, I have paused the caching service and everything works quickly. Yet previously, when cleaning the browser's cache, forums' cache stored on Cloudflare or entering Development Mode (= Clodflare cache is being bypassed) had no result, although it should have. Well, gotta investigate into how Cloudflare works and find a solution. Most probably removing and re-adding the site to Cloudflare will fix everything. What may have caused it? Probably when I have played with the Google SEO addon and friendly URL redirects something got messed up as cloudflare got dizzy when seeing the new URL structures.

Topic may be closed, yet for future searchers - if you use Cloudflare and encounter some weird lags, pause caching and check if problem persists. If not - here's our culprit.
If memory serves correctly, I know there is a plugin for a server's board that lists various servers. Perhaps it is related to that plugin?