MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Character Count Plugin not working after upgrading to 1.8.10.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This plugin would show me the total characters, and how many remaining.  All I had to do was hover over it.

https://mods.mybb.com/profile/14694

It's not working now, neither in the quick editor, nor the full editor.

Can someone please help?

[Image: 7rqsZFP.png]

URL:

http://sacramentokingsforum.net
What editor are you using? It seems, you don't use MyBB's default editor. Has the Character Count plugin worked with your current editor before the update?
(2017-01-31, 08:37 AM)doylecc Wrote: [ -> ]What editor are you using? It seems, you don't use MyBB's default editor. Has the Character Count plugin worked with your current editor before the update?

I was using Quick Advanced Editor Plus from June 2016 until yesterday.  The Character Count Plugin worked with that.

(Also, to me, it seems separate from an editor, since it's below the editor, but maybe I'm wrong.  I don't think it's tied to an editor.)

I switched to Rin editor yesterday.

I think the Character Count plugin was working after the upgrade but before switching to Rin, but I'm not sure.

Ok, after switching between Quick Advanced Editor Plus and Rin Editor, it is a problem with Rin Editor.  The Character Count plugin works with Quick Advanced Editor Plus.

So I'll stick with that.
I'll probably add support for CKEditor to Character Count in the next update, so It will work with Rin Editor too.
(2017-01-31, 07:20 PM)doylecc Wrote: [ -> ]I'll probably add support for CKEditor to Character Count in the next update, so It will work with Rin Editor too.

Great!  Does that mean the character count plugin will work and show both in Quick and Full mode?

Also, do you know how to add buttons to SCEditor (which Quick Advanced Editor Plus uses)?  I noticed Rin Editor has superscript and subscript.  So I want to try adding them so they'll be in Quick Advanced Editor Plus, until Rin Editor has them.

Then I'll switch back to Rin.

BTW, this Character Count plugin shows both how many characters typed, and remaining.

(2017-01-31, 07:20 PM)doylecc Wrote: [ -> ]I'll probably add support for CKEditor to Character Count in the next update, so It will work with Rin Editor too.

Just a question, so I understand things. Is CKEditor its own plugin, and is Rin built on top of that? Is it possible to install CKEditor on its own?

Another question.

Is there a reason why the Character Count displays in the full editor, but not the Quick Editor?  (Which I have as Quick Advanced Editor Plus)?
(2017-02-02, 11:22 PM)nuraman00 Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a reason why the Character Count displays in the full editor, but not the Quick Editor?  (Which I have as Quick Advanced Editor Plus)?

If you remove this line from inc/plugins/charcount.php:
if (isset($mybb->settings['quickadveditorplus_qedit']) && $mybb->settings['quickadveditorplus_qedit'] != 0 && empty($mybb->user['usemheditor']) && THIS_SCRIPT == "showthread.php") return;
it should work with Quick Advanced Editor Plus.

BTW the new version of Character Count with CKEditor support is available now.
(2017-02-03, 09:45 AM)doylecc Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-02-02, 11:22 PM)nuraman00 Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a reason why the Character Count displays in the full editor, but not the Quick Editor?  (Which I have as Quick Advanced Editor Plus)?

If you remove this line from inc/plugins/charcount.php:
if (isset($mybb->settings['quickadveditorplus_qedit']) && $mybb->settings['quickadveditorplus_qedit'] != 0 && empty($mybb->user['usemheditor']) && THIS_SCRIPT == "showthread.php") return;
it should work with Quick Advanced Editor Plus.

BTW the new version of Character Count with CKEditor support is available now.

I will try that and let you know, thanks.

Why was that check in there?

Also, do you know how I can add buttons like subscript or superscript to SCEditor (Quick Advanced Editor Plus)?
(2017-02-03, 08:05 PM)nuraman00 Wrote: [ -> ]Why was that check in there?
There was an error with Character Count and an old version of Quick Advanced Editor Plus, but it seems to work now.

(2017-02-03, 08:05 PM)nuraman00 Wrote: [ -> ]Also, do you know how I can add buttons like subscript or superscript to SCEditor (Quick Advanced Editor Plus)?
Unfortunately no, sorry. I don't use SCEditor at all in my forums.
(2017-02-03, 08:19 PM)doylecc Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-02-03, 08:05 PM)nuraman00 Wrote: [ -> ]Why was that check in there?
There was an error with Character Count and an old version of Quick Advanced Editor Plus, but it seems to work now.

(2017-02-03, 08:05 PM)nuraman00 Wrote: [ -> ]Also, do you know how I can add buttons like subscript or superscript to SCEditor (Quick Advanced Editor Plus)?
Unfortunately no, sorry. I don't use SCEditor at all in my forums.

Ok, I upgraded to the latest Character Count plugin, and went back to Rin Editor.

I do kind of like how Quick Advanced Editor Plus has a place in your control panel for your Autosaved Posts.

But I also like how Rin Editor has the superscript and subscript buttons.  And "Paste From Word" also seems interesting.

It's also nice being able to use Character Count in quick reply with Rin Editor, without having to change code like I would have if I were using SCEditor.  It's just one less thing I'd have to think about every time I upgraded the Character Count plugin.

Minor differences between both, I think I'd be fine either way.

Thanks again for the latest update on the Character Count plugin.